I7-6700k vs I5-6600k Skylake Gaming Build

Robert_7

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2015
OK, I'm sure this has been done to death but I want to upgrade my PC. I have a FX-8320 and I hate it... hot, power hungry and a poor single core performer. I am absolutely upgrading my cpu in the next month, doing so necessitates a new motherboard so i may as well go to the new Skylake chips so I can get DDR4 and USB 3.1 hotness. For that reason I'm inclined to not buy an older Chipset and MB.

My current specs are as follows"
FX 8320 3.5ghz 8core Black
Hyper 212 cpu cooler
Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 MB
8GB Corsiar 1333 DDR3
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
Antec HCG 750 Watt PSU
Case NZXT S340
Dell U2412M Monitor

I upgrade my PC about every 3 years

I mostly Game 1080p res, I do a few other applications (lite Photoshop, Movies, Music, Basic Crap)
I need performance but I also value.. well value.

The new I7 6700 is a better multi thread performer which I am thinking may come in handy in a year ot two with newer games, but my big debate is whether its worth the $140 more.. I may overclock but I prefer not too most of the time..

My new build will look like this:
I7 6700k or I5 6600k
Hyper 212 or perhaps water cooled
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA1151 DDR4 M.2 MB
16GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 3000
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
Antec HCG 750 Watt PSU

What kind of performance gain can I expect?
Will it future proof me for at least 3 years?
Will the new MB support later Skylake chipsets when the better stuff comes out in a year or 2?
Do I really need the I7 6700 or am i selling it too my sell with unrealistic expectations of how awesome an upgrade it will be?

Thanks in advance to any pros who can help answer any of this with some explanations.. please avoid too simplistic answers I really want to know why : ))

Russgriz

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
Definitely the I7-6700k
What kind of performance gain can I expect?
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhaB1dqYv_I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhaB1dqYv_I[/video]
Will it future proof me for at least 3 years?
With this build you can proof yourself at least 5 years.

I would rather get a good brand of 1200 Watt of PSU because in time you might wanna go SLI. These chips are very strong having just a GTX 970 for a GPU won't even make your CPU sweat, if not then 750 Watt is more than enough.

Exeonx

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
I was in the same position as you are right now, I went with the 6700K, since I also tend to do a lot of multi-tasking, and I do play some CPU-heavy games.

Who knows, in a couple of years hyper-threaded games could be a thing, keep in mind, I bought it with the plan of using it for the next 5 or so years, at least a good 3-4 gens before I upgrade, however in my opinion it's best to invest into a better GPU rather then a better CPU anyday.

Also for cooler, don't go water, to be honest, most high-end air coolers can beat water in preformance, for instance the Noctua NH-D15(a beast for air cooling) can beat all except the highest end water coolers, though that said, it's about 50€/$ cheaper then said higher end coolers, and no leaking risk.
What I'm saying here is, often people believe water = best preformance, though it's far from the truth, and often it's worse(looking at you small radiator water coolers), or when it's not it comes with a very hefty price to preformance

Robert_7

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2015
Thanks for the help guys.. I'm still debating this in my head, I just don't want to jump in as an early adopter because I did that with the eight core amd 8300 series crap and I have regretted it ever since. Buying a new chip itself was not the problem, its the fact that I had to buy a new $200+ mb as well that was the headache.

So I think I will just splurge on the I7 6700k and cross my fingers and hope for good performance for at least 3-5 years.. hopefully it will at least outlive my current Video Card.

Anyone want to chime anything else in please do!

sanwokie

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Definitely go with the i7-6700K http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Boxed-I7-6700K-Pr... but wait for prices to stabilize. They are a bit high right now with the demand. Newer games are utilizing hyperthreading more often and the i5 processors don't offer that feature. The i7 should last you at bare minimum 2 years but likely 3-4. Graphics cards will not have such a lifespan as they are at most 2-3 years depending on the card you get.

As far as getting a 1200W PSU, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of unless you want to go with triple or quad SLI/Crossfire graphics cards. A solid 850W will allow SLI or Crossfire with almost any graphics card on the market.

Robert_7

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2015

thanks for the Reply,
I heard there is a new shipment coming early October so the price should be back to the $370 mark, My GPU is a Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 its pretty nice, almost certainly wont do that upgrade for 2 years.

Now deciding between
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1151
and
MSI Z170A GAMING M7 (Intel LGA-1151)
:) )

sanwokie

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

I'd go with the ASUS Maximums VIII Hero http://www.amazon.com/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO-LGA1.... You said the VII but I'm assuming you meant the VIII. I have the VII with the i7-4790K and have always been a fan of ASUS motherboards. To be honest, I've always used ASUS motherboards ever since I started building my own PC's. The MSI isn't bad but ASUS tends to use better quality components and I've had great customer support from them as well. I also like the UEFI better than the MSI and yes, I have had a MSI motherboard for a brief period. =)