Problems with Tom's site??

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Last few weeks, I've been getting this error message, a lot:
An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #97.d6c23d17.1442521151.45755da4

error code varies:
Reference #97.d6c23d17.1442522671.45c9e5e8
Reference #97.d6c23d17.1442522729.45cafdb9
Reference #97.d6c23d17.1442522826.45cde320
Reference #97.d6c23d17.1442522939.45d2cc6c
Reference #97.d6c23d17.1442523058.45d8ae91

don't have problem with ANY other web site

Solution

We unfortunately do not have a solution for this at the moment, but I will try to explain this to the best of my ability.

Tom's Hardware, as an international site, makes use of a service called Akamai to serve our web pages to a portion of our users. This is done in order to improve the speed at which...

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Comcast is ISP, generally pretty fast d/l (>50Mb/s) and good pings (<20mS). Sacramento, Calif.
I do run AdBlocker program, and I know that Tom's has a LOT of ads and pop-ups, too many actuallyrunning Firefox

Does anybody know what the number/alpha means?

No one else is having problems? A bunch of stuff on their site is broken for me ever since the update, and across all machines, Windows, Linux, Android. To post anything or reply to any thing I have to do things in an exact order otherwise it doesn't work.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

We unfortunately do not have a solution for this at the moment, but I will try to explain this to the best of my ability.

Tom's Hardware, as an international site, makes use of a service called Akamai to serve our web pages to a portion of our users. This is done in order to improve the speed at which the page is served. As near as our tech guys can tell, these errors occur when one of Akamai's servers fail--which, for obvious reasons, is something that's out of our hands. The pattern that is beginning to emerge, thanks to your details, is that this seems to happen more frequently on the US West Coast. I will forward this information and hopefully it will help us reach a solution faster.

No one else is having problems? A bunch of stuff on their site is broken for me ever since the update, and across all machines, Windows, Linux, Android. To post anything or reply to any thing I have to do things in an exact order otherwise it doesn't work.

Care to elaborate on these? Perhaps make a separate thread with all the details? It's all well and great to say that an update on our end broke something (it very well may have, as it does happen), but we can't fix it if you don't tell us what's broken.

Solution
Titillating said:
The pattern that is beginning to emerge, thanks to your details, is that this seems to happen more frequently on the US West Coast

My ISP is located around San Francisco as well - Sonic.

Those errors make Tomshardware completely unusable for me at times, right now thanks to Alabalcho I can type this, otherwise I am out. UK site has no issues for me, yet. I can provide bunch of error numbers myself if needed.
Without any accusations, I don't remember anything like this a year ago or so, everything started last Summer, for me at least.

Titillating said:
make a separate thread with all the details

I actually made one on the different issue http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2790066/strange-error.html and saw nobody even attempting to help, so i gave up on creating many new HELP threads. Some get attention, others - NOT. No offense please.