Anyone here a Kindle Reader

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I just started to read Kindle and it is quite enjoyable on my smart phone and it is also free some books which is great.

USAFRet

Titan

An actual Kindle is soooo much better than doing it on a phone or tablet. e-ink rules.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Yup! This is mine:

big-viewer-3G-01-lrg._V188696038_.jpg

Has a battery that lasts for weeks, very easy on the eyes, an actual joy to have my (limited) library on. I admit, it doesn't get as much use as it should.

-Wolf sends

D

Deleted member 217926

Me too! I also have several thousand books. I wish I could get used to a Kindle or something similar just because of how much free stuff is out there but I prefer an actual book.

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Yea, i guess i'll get a Kindle/Kobo one day.
Last time i travelled, i couldn't take more than two books when i needed to take 4~5

It's very convenient is some situations, but if i have to choose between a book and a kindle, i definitely choose the book.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Books are cheaper also.

USAFRet

Titan

I get a lot of free, $1, $2 kindle books.

Don't get me wrong...physical books are great. I have hundreds. But the Kindle is so damn convenient.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I used to have a pretty decent physical library, but I was in the military at the time. Moving from dorm to dorm and station to station, those book boxes kept getting bigger and heavier. By the time my tour in Germany ended, a hefty part of my moving weight allowance would have been books (and VHS tapes), so I left most of them behind.

-Wolf sends

USAFRet

Titan

That's not the way I read it.

"...between a book and a kindle, i definitely choose the book."
"Books are cheaper also."

This seems to say the physical book is cheaper.

I could be wrong, though.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I meant books are cheaper because you can buy them second hand at a Good will or salvation army stores or even garage sales and book fairs.

D

Deleted member 217926

Guess I was wrong then. I always hit up the friends of the library sale each year but I usually buy new books. I think a Kindle would be cheaper especially with all the free content. Most of that free stuff is unreadable though.

USAFRet

Titan

Unreadable? Kindle Lending Library, Project Gutenberg (yes, some of those have OCR issues), 1 free prerelease a month with Amazon prime...

D

Deleted member 217926

Unreadable from a content perspective. Just an opinion though. Most of the 'classics' ( bore me to tears ) that are in the public domain and are free I have already read or I don't care to read. Just because I read a lot doesn't mean I have any taste :lol: I am admittedly pretty ignorant of what's out there free these days. I haven't really looked in years so that statement was probably in error.

I do have Prime.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I know this is a tease. I was reading a novel yesterday and was really involved in it when it said you have to buy the rest of the book to finish this.It was on my smart phone which I down loaded .How do i get to finish this book without buying it? Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan

This depends on where it came from. I've never run into that.

Aug 11, 2015
I had a kindle (emphasis on HAD).
One night, I got up and it had fallen off my nightstand. Stood on it. The screen cracked and half was frozen, and the other half worked. I was devastated.

Got a kindle fire a few years ago though, still use that to this day (right now, for example). Have however equipped it with a bulletproof case :lol: