Windows 10 support and compatibility for ASUS M5A97

G9xftw

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Hello there. I would like to know how well the ASUS M5A97 will work on the new Windows 10. I had Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 work on it previously. I was forced to move to windows 8, then 8.1 because the fx series of processors needed that patch which came from Windows 8 onwards.

What I would like to know is should I move onto windows 10? I am particularly concerned about the motherboard compatibility because my friend had some Intel board for his i7 which quite surprisingly would not support windows 8 when it came out new. I fear the same for my motherboard with the new OS.

my specs:

ASUS M5A97 ( the original model, not the R2 or any other)
Corsair Vengeance Ram-16gb
WD caviar black 1tb
Transcend ssd370s, 64gb
Saphire radeon hd 7950.
AMD FX-8320

Solution
I checked the asus site, they add the win10 drivers for your MB https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97/HelpDesk_Download/ , so if you want you can upgrade to win10. But I recommend you wait for a while, like me, let microsoft to fix the win10 bugs first, you still have about 10 months for free upgrading. The bugs like http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/08/06/windows-10bugs-emerge/
I checked the asus site, they add the win10 drivers for your MB https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97/HelpDesk_Download/ , so if you want you can upgrade to win10. But I recommend you wait for a while, like me, let microsoft to fix the win10 bugs first, you still have about 10 months for free upgrading. The bugs like http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/08/06/windows-10bugs-emerge/

Solution

woodnowin

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
I attempted to upgrade to windows 10; 4 times. First 3 tries had no USB following last restart after selecting default apps. PS 2 ports worked. Device manager was lit up with many yellow marks, question marks, and a note that Asmedia USB drivers were blocked due to known issues with windows 10. Microsoft tech support blamed board drivers. Only drivers on ASUS support site are audio, which I have disabled in preference to a separate turtle beach sound card and a LAN driver that will only install in windows 10.
After hours of surfing and reading about other's similar problems:
Installed AMD chip set drivers.
Upgraded Asmedia USB chip firmware.
Installed newer ASmedia drivers that windows 10 could not find.
Installed ASUS audio driver just in case it was needed.
Installed windows 10.

Worked great; device manager looked clean as it should, for 1 day. Allowed windows to install updates next day. After reboot for update install, no USB again. Device manager wrecked again. Probably a cypress usb enumerator that windows update installed.

After each of the 4 installs, even after rolling back to to windows 7, could not restore USB functionality. Had to re-image drive from backup. During research found discussions of many similar USB failures during windows 10 beta testing. Gave up on windows 10 for now. Microsoft could do better, much better.

ASUS M5A97 ( the original model, not the R2 or any other)
G Skil Ram-8gb
Samsung 840 EVO 500 gb
Geforce GTX 580
AMD FX-8350

G9xftw

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015

Holy Cow! It is certainly going to be a while before I get on the windows 10 band wagon with this motherboard. Infact, I would still be using windows 7, but the fx series processors need some stupid update to work well at full potential with windows 7. That update was a default package in windows 8. Thus I was forced to move to windows 8. For years could not run many of my older applications, sucked hard. Yes, windows 7 came with the update package, but well, just went for a simpler solution, new OS.

reilym

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016
I had the same experience with loss of USB on attempting to upgrade to W10 64bit with M5A97 (original), 16 GB Vengance RAM, FX8320E cpu and GEforce 210 video, I have been searching for anyone with a similar problem and now I have found one. On scouring the ASUS website, it appears that the M5A97 Plus has very recent driver updates for the BIOS (4 of them in 2015), but nothing like that for my motherboard. Please post back if a solution is discovered!

woodnowin

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
I found the problem was the Asmedia USB drivers. Uninstall them and use the option to delete them when you do it. Then upgrade and windows 10 installs a generic driver to run the Asmedia USB chip. I also suggest uninstalling Asus AI suite. You can reinstall it after upgrade except for the USB part of it. If you are already running windows 10, you might try uninstalling and deleting the USB drivers and then reboot so windows will put another driver in place of them. It's been a while and I don't remember all the issues. I think I ended up uninstalling/deleting nearly all the drivers for video, chip set, sound, etc. while in Windows 7 until windows could barely function. Then windows 10 was forced to supply the drivers when upgrading. Eventually, everything worked out. Good luck.

reilym

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016
OK, so I finally got around to installing windows 10 on my ASUS M5A97 motherboard, with the same outcome - all USB drivers were disabled. Thanks to Woodnowin's response, I was able to identify that this was soley due to the AISUITE, version 2 for Windows 7 being installed. As soon as I removed AISUITE and rebooted, everything worked as it should. I subsequently installed AISUITE II for windows 8.1. The software works and the USB devices are still recognized!
So far so good.