Display Port Questions

Gibby101

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
So I have been wondering about the quality of picture of display port cables. I want to buy a nice graphics card that has Display and HDMI ports but my monitor supports only DVI-D and VGA. My question is: Is there a boost in visual quality using a Display Port Cable and then using an adapter to convert to DVI, or should I just use a DVI cable because the cables make no difference with my monitor?

Solution
In terms of bandwidth you'll be limited to the weakest link. DP is much better than DVI, and so DVI will be your bottleneck. DP -> DP is what you want. Unless lower resolutions/refresh rate is what you need. Also make sure it's Dual Link DVI-D... Do some research on this if you don't understand the difference, I won't be reliable for any purchase you make if it turns out it doesn't work. But to answer your question, picture quality won't change, like I said above, they're digital.

Gibby101

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014

So if i buy a display port cable and use a dvi adapter the picture quality should be the same as using a display port cable by itself cause im not trying to waste money on a display port cable and adapter to try and get better picture quality that ends up having the same quality as a dvi cable.

In terms of bandwidth you'll be limited to the weakest link. DP is much better than DVI, and so DVI will be your bottleneck. DP -> DP is what you want. Unless lower resolutions/refresh rate is what you need. Also make sure it's Dual Link DVI-D... Do some research on this if you don't understand the difference, I won't be reliable for any purchase you make if it turns out it doesn't work. But to answer your question, picture quality won't change, like I said above, they're digital.

Solution