Windows license key won't let me upgrade to a newer version of windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyKeyblade

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015
So about 2 years ago I purchased a prebuilt Dell Inspiron Desktop at Best Buy(for shame i know, this was before i learned how to build computers) and it came preloaded with windows 8 64-bit. Not sure what version, but it came with the full Microsoft office suite for a year. Fast forward to present day and Windows 10 was just released, I didn't get the notification to upgrade to it for free, so i thought maybe if i went to windows 8.1 first then maybe it would let me upgrade. So I activated the "add new features to windows" wizard and clicked on i already have product key. I copy and pasted a VBscript i found online and ran it to find my windows key. copy and pasted it into the text box and it said "this key won't work. Check it and try again." then i put the code in manually, multiple times and still didn't work. I read that some newer pre built machines store the key in the motherboard UEFI Bios so maybe the key i was getting from the script wasn't right? maybe my version of windows that i got from dell isn't eligible for upgrade? Im not so sure what to do, any help would be great

TL;DR Im trying to get windows 10 on a pre built dell windows 8 desktop but the license key that was displayed by a VBscript isn't working

USAFRet

Titan
1. There was no need to run any VBScript to find your existing key to upgrade to Win 8.1.
2. There was no key needed at all to upgrade to 8.1.
3. You must have a fully updated, activated 8.1 to Upgrade to Win 10.

So...What do you actually have right now?
Open Windows Explorer
Right click on This PC (or Computer...whatever it says)
Select Properties
'Windows Edition'....what does it say?

Status
Not open for further replies.