DVI vs HDMI

Garv Maggu

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015
My Monitor :- Dell S2240L - 1 HDMI, 1 VGA
My Graphics Card :- ZOTAC NVIDIA 750TI 2GB GDDR5 - 2 DVI, 1 HDMI

Right now, I have connected my graphics card to my monitor using VGA cable (I got DVI to VGA adapter with graphics card).

Now, which option is the best from below to connect graphics card to my monitor and why ? :-
1. HDMI to HDMI (No adapter)
2. DVI to HDMI (No adapter)
3. VGA to VGA (Using DVI to VGA adapter with graphics card)
Kindly tell me which option is the best from above three.

Also, by using DVI to VGA adapter, are my signals converted from digital to analog?

And I use my PC for Ultra Gaming.

Solution
HDMI is the best choice. It is all digital.

Your DVI port is a DVI-I which has both analog and digital pins. No conversion is done, the analog pins are used.

Garv Maggu

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015

That means, if I connect DVI to HDMI using a normal cable, it will carry digital signals and if I connect VGA to VGA using DVI to VGA adapter, it will carry analog signals.
Am I right?

Also, will I feel the difference between DVI to HDMI and HDMI to HDMI? Which among these two is the best and why? Because I think that DVI to HDMI is also all digital, isn't it?

kanewolf

Titan
DVI to HDMI and HDMI to HDMI is no different on the video side, both digital signals. HDMI can carry audio also. DVI is a video only standard. The HDMI is newer than the DVI standard. I don't understand why you are focusing on DVI to HDMI when you say your graphics card has an HDMI port. If that is the only cable you have then it will be fine.

HDMI to HDMI could have benefits with copy protected HD content. The HDCP might not recognize a "secure" path with a DVI to HDMI adapter.