Seasonic G series 650W or Corsair RM650i?

GarfieldsField

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015
My build is:
i5 4460
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming
8GB RAM

Should I get Seasonic G series 650W (SS-650G) or Corsair RM650i (RMi 650W)?

Anything else in same class?

I think I will use it with single GPU in the future. Don't think I wil ever SLI. But is 650W capable of SLI?

Thanks

The Seasonic G Series 650W, definitely. The Corsair RM650i is currently untested/unranked in this Latest PSU Tier List. Corsair is known for more PSU models under the Tier-3 and below categories (which are characterized by so-so or poor quality). As of today, only the RMi 750W is categorized as Tier-1, while the RM 850W is at Tier-2. The rest of the RM Series are at Tier-3. On the other hand, Seasonic doesn't have any PSU models lower than Tier-2. This is due to the fact that Seasonic is one of the more reputable manufacturers of PSU's.

The recommended PSU for your GTX 970 rig is only 500W. The 650W has a lot of headroom in that build. If you want to save some costs, you might want to choose somewhere around 500W or 520W PSU for a single-GTX 970. If ever, you decide on going SLI with the GTX 970, the recommended PSU would then be 700W (but the 650W might also work as long as the +12V is enough to power your rig's actual TDP).

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
If your using a 4460 processor the chances are your motherboard will not SLI anyhow.
I would strongly suggest fitting a 4690K paired with a Z97 motherboard in your budget, the higher clock speed paired with the ability to overclock in the future can add a couple of years of life to the build before you need to upgrade again. Post your full build I bet you could make room in your budget for the better performance.
For those 2 power supplies either will work just fine so get the lower priced one.