Cannot access anything permissions/security changed on local hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkygirlsmama

Reputable
May 1, 2015
someone changed my local hard drives security and permissions. I now cant access anything, I cant change the permissions, I cant start in safe mode I cant download or delete I cannot change any permissions in any of the files or folders that I had, I cannot change settings in cmd because it doesn't recocognize I cant change uac, it shows my hard drive as being on a network and I do not have access or permission help

Solution
IF your system is locked up in this way, hopefully you've previously backed up any important files, folders and settings, as you're probably going to lose it since you can't get in via safe mode. You may be able to attach your hard driver to another system and transfer any important files off the drive to other media by browsing to those files in windows explorer, but aside from that, you might be in a tight spot on recovering anything that hasn't already been backed up.

It actually sounds as though your system has been infected by malware or a rootkit. But I don't see how anything could affect getting in via safe mode, as malicious software generally can't forcibly eliminate that option except in the most extreme infections.

I'd...
IF your system is locked up in this way, hopefully you've previously backed up any important files, folders and settings, as you're probably going to lose it since you can't get in via safe mode. You may be able to attach your hard driver to another system and transfer any important files off the drive to other media by browsing to those files in windows explorer, but aside from that, you might be in a tight spot on recovering anything that hasn't already been backed up.

It actually sounds as though your system has been infected by malware or a rootkit. But I don't see how anything could affect getting in via safe mode, as malicious software generally can't forcibly eliminate that option except in the most extreme infections.

I'd suggest doing a clean install as follows once you recover your data, or determine that you can't.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2784691/ditch-problematic-win10-upgrade-replace-clean-install.html

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.