SSD Windows 10 Reinstall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swanky Rumbling

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
Alright, I just cloned my Windows 10 files, but it's asking for my product key. I never had to input that in my original reinstall, and I wouldn't remember it for my life.

Is there a way for me to get around this or look up my product key? What should I do?

Solution
no you are getting mixed up--you cant clone from microsofts website

you either retrieve the windows 10 key you currently have using those softwares

then download the EXACT VERSION of 10 you are entitled to

and then use that key during install

or you clone straight from the original hard drive to the ssd--no downloading windows from microsoft at all

you use some free software like macrium reflect that copies the hard drive identically to the ssd

Swanky Rumbling

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015

Have you used this app before to obtain a key? How do I check it to find 10 if it doesn't say Windows 10? What should I check for?

Swanky Rumbling

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015

It says "This key doesn't work with the edition of Windows"

Swanky Rumbling

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015

I got it via upgrading

Swanky Rumbling

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015

I'm trying to install Windows 10 on an SSD. How do I make an IDENTICAL copy without it asking for a key? I cloned Windows 10 from Microsoft's website, and when I ran setup from my DVD drive, it asked for a key.

USAFRet

Titan

You didn't 'clone' anything.

What was on this PC before?
For the 'free' Upgrade to Windows 10, you must have a qualifying OS installed first. Windows 7 or 8.1.

If this is an absolutely bare PC, with no previous OS, then you must buy something. Either Win 7 or 8.1 and Upgrade to Win 10, or buy Win 10 outright.

no you are getting mixed up--you cant clone from microsofts website

you either retrieve the windows 10 key you currently have using those softwares

then download the EXACT VERSION of 10 you are entitled to

and then use that key during install

or you clone straight from the original hard drive to the ssd--no downloading windows from microsoft at all

you use some free software like macrium reflect that copies the hard drive identically to the ssd

Solution

Swanky Rumbling

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015

Ok. So, I bought Windows 8. It gave me an upgrade to 10. I took the upgrade. It didn't ask me for anything. Now, how do I get the OS on the SSD? Or do you not have a storage background?

USAFRet

Titan

OK, now we're getting somewhere.
To move the install to the SSD, you need to use one of the current cloning tools.
Macrium Reflect, Easus Todo, Casper, Acronis Trueimage, Samsung Data Migration.

What you got from MS will not do what you desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.