The Microsoft Passport Container service terminated with the following error: General access denied error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrae

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
Thank you for taking your valuable time to help with this problem. I've searched, cannot find a resolution. I'm experiencing EXTREME bootup time 2-4 hrs. I have a Toshiba Satellite Radius P55W-B5112 Laptop with Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]. I have done 3 separate tests on the hard drive - all with no errors. I have done 2 memory tests - no errors.

There are 3 current problems I am experiencing:
1. No "Sign-In Options" under "Settings"
2. No PIN login option on login screen
3. Extremely long bootup options - anywhere from 2-4 hours to boot into login screen.

This is the complete log of the error I'm experiencing - the ONLY error I can find in the System log:
Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 09/19/2015 10:38:35 AM
Event ID: 7023
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: <REMOVED FOR SECURITY REASONS>
Description:
The Microsoft Passport Container service terminated with the following error:
General access denied error
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7023</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-09-19T17:38:35.628858800Z" />
<EventRecordID>86227</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="712" ThreadID="804" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>REMOVED</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">Microsoft Passport Container</Data>
<Data Name="param2">%%2147942405</Data>
<Binary>4E0067006300430074006E0072005300760063000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

I have tried to edit the key using regedit - the change was successful; however, it still refuses to allow me permission to start the service. I'm afraid to reboot because it will take it forever to come back up again.

Solution
You may want to perform a clean installation of Windows 10, as the time it takes to enact the solutions you are attempting will probably far outpace that of a Windows 10 reinstall. Download the media creation tool here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Use it to create USB or DVD installation media, which you should use to perform a Custom installation. It is up to you whether you will reformat or not, but this should resolve any driver- or software-related issues.

Slashgeek

Admirable
You may want to perform a clean installation of Windows 10, as the time it takes to enact the solutions you are attempting will probably far outpace that of a Windows 10 reinstall. Download the media creation tool here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Use it to create USB or DVD installation media, which you should use to perform a Custom installation. It is up to you whether you will reformat or not, but this should resolve any driver- or software-related issues.

Solution

Terrae

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015

Thank you for the reply. I did do a clean install, I was pretty much left with no other alternative. Even after changing the permissions for the appropriate registry key it still would not allow me to start the Container service. Without it I kept getting missing accounts on the login page, and just random other stuff going haywire... so I just scrapped it all and figure that there just comes a limit when you've spent enough time trying to figure the problem out. I'm not an IT expert, but I can figure my way around a computer fairly well... but like I said, there comes a time when you just don't have the answer or the resources to get the answer... and must do a clean install... this was that moment.

Again, thank you for your valuable time - I appreciate it very much, even if I didn't get the result I wanted, I got the laptop fixed with a clean install. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.