How easy would it be to swap SSDs between a manufactured laptop and a custom built PC?

ryan347

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
I am considering buying a lenovo Y50 laptop. My only real complaint is the size of the SSD and lack of secondary HDD. However, my custom built desktop already has a 512GB SSD. I expect it should just be a matter of plugging in the SSDs and it should boot up and run no problems. But, I just want to make sure before I dump 1,300$ on a laptop. I've never tried to modify a manufactured computer before. I have 2 main questions:

-Should I expect any issues when I swap SSDs between a manufactured laptop and a custom PC? Shouldn't be anything a system reformat can't fix right?

-Are laptop SSDs the same size (physically) as for desktops? What about the 8 gb SSD version? It comes with either an 8gb SSD w/ 1TB HDD OR 256gb SSD w/o a HDD.

thanks in advance

Pretty much all SATA SSDs are 2.5 inch which is what all laptop hard drives these days are. You will have to reinstall Windows on the laptop but with a Windows 10 system you can create reinstall disks. It is possible to swap SSDs out in nearly all laptops, though.