Win10 Changing Default Program File Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldKingCobra

Honorable
Jun 2, 2015
I have Windows 10 64-bit, I did a clean install on a new build (SSD). I would use the Windows "move" application feature and the default download location option but Microsoft greyed out the option on the final release of Windows and nobody knows when the feature will be back.

So should I change this stuff in regedit, using this method* or what should I do?

*http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-default-program-files-directory-windows

Solution

People with an SSD/HDD combo (like I do) generally just change the install directory whenever we install a new program. I have Steam libraries across my three hard drives, for example. MS Office is installed on my SSD, but storage hogs like virtual instrument libraries go on larger-capacity drives.

GoldKingCobra

Honorable
Jun 2, 2015
So the only Option I have is the regedit way. What are the downsides of doing the regedit way? Does everyone who has a SSD and a HDD do the regedit way? Why doesn't Windows have the option of doing this?

Slashgeek

Admirable

People with an SSD/HDD combo (like I do) generally just change the install directory whenever we install a new program. I have Steam libraries across my three hard drives, for example. MS Office is installed on my SSD, but storage hogs like virtual instrument libraries go on larger-capacity drives.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.