Windows 10 accessing program files from windows 7 hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devin_Payler

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
Hi I recently built a new PC, and installed windows 10 on a 120gb solid state drive, I also have a 2tb hard drive, It has all my applications and programs from my old windows 7 pc. When i go through my programs on windows 10 my old programs don't show up and i can only access them by going into my old hard drive and running them through there. Is there any way to access them more conveniently and make all my program files save to my HDD rather than my SSD?

Slashgeek

Admirable
Programs that are installed on one copy of Windows will not be visible when viewed from another copy of Windows. You can certainly try to run them from their executables in the old Program Files folder, but they are not guaranteed to work, and will often be missing their settings and other important information. For those programs that do work, you can create shortcuts to their .exe files and put them on the desktop, but they will never appear to be installed from Windows's perspective unless you reinstall them. As for making your program files save to your HDD, when you install your software, you can change your install directory to be your older hard drive.

Devin_Payler

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015

So i would have to completely wipe the drive to use it with my new OS?

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
if you're not using the Windows 7 operating system anymore but want to store and run your programs from that disk i would just wipe that disk and start installing the applications to there from now on.

if you are using Windows 7 & 10 in a dual-boot setup it may cause problems with some applications trying to install them in the same space for both operating systems. most i've tried are fine with it but some need specific settings for each OS that would be stored in the same file inside the program's folder and that file would be overwritten when installing for the 2nd OS.

Devin_Payler

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015

Okay i formatted the drive with windows 7 on it, is there a way i can tell windows to install all program files on that disk?

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
i don't know of a way to make them all automatically install to this new location. and some programs will still default to the C: drive when installed, those are usually programs that are deeply involved with the system. but most you will have the option to choose where they install when you run the install packages and you can choose your new drive location.

in case you want your User documents stored there also; an easy way to do this is to go to your "This PC" shortcut.
you can right-click on the specific User folders; Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos > choose properties > location tab > and set your own location for that folder. *can save a ton of space on your OS drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.