How soon do you think we will see "enthusiast class" smartphones and tablets?

shlaclimalac

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
Mobile CPUs are evolving fast and steady right now. Average CPU performance gain on Apple's iPhone since 3GS (the first to be featured on geekbench rankings) is around 89% on an yearly basis*. On Apple's iPad (since iPad 2), this average goes as high as 106% yearly**.

I've made the following graph, which shows the evolution of iPhone and iPad geekbench scores on the past few years***:

i_Phone_and_i_Pad.png

* 40%, 96%, 213%, 98%, 15%, and a allegedly 70% on the iPhone 6S.
** 184%, 90%, 71%, and allegedly 80% on the iPad Pro.
*** iPhone 6S and iPad Pro scores are estimatives based on alleged performance gains on last Apple keynote. They may or may not correspond to reality, as happened during past years.

Nowadays, one of the best CPUs on the entusiast market is the Intel i7-4790K*, and it has an average geekbench score around 19,000**. Given overstated performance gain rate, my graphic and the fact that the iPhone 6S and the iPad Pro will get scores around 4,911 and 8,145 if Apple's allegations are proven true, how soon do you think we will see "enthusiast class" smartphones and tablets?

* Highest Passmark single-core score up to date, and also the best multi-core score bellow the US$1,000.00 tag.
**I confess I didn't do the math, it's only a gross estimative based on a fast look over i7-4790K geekbench entries.

PS.: Sorry for my bad English. I'm brazilian.

You are trying to overlap architectures here.
Mobile computing will likely reach the same level as enthusiast grade processors at some point in time. However, when that happens imagine what processor will be on the market. There is no comparison. The much larger x86 architecture is far superior in computing performance, but also produces much more heat and takes up space. Mobile architecture such as ARM, run with extremely low power draw and heat production.