Infinite Restart Loop???!?! [SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

John9786

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015
Hey guys!

I was fresh reinstalling my windows 10 onto my HDD as I encountered an error preventing me from booting the computer up, in the end I found it was my new GPU causing this error (a dead GPU?). So now my computer shows an error message: "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an error during installation of windows". I looked this error up and it told me to press shift f10 to open a console and to type regedit in and to find status on local machine, changing the number from 1 to 3. I did this supposed fix, however, now my computer is in a infinite restart loop, displaying the windows 10 installation at 64% and then restarting again...?

Please help me solve this issue!
Thanks!

Solution

Didn't you say your were doing a fresh install? What were you using for that? But, what you said about a burned DVD or thumb drive is the way to go. Microsoft actually made it really easy. Just go to this page, DL the media creation tool and follow the steps. You will need either a blank DVD or a minimum of [I think] a 4GB USB drive. Just choose which version (home or pro) and if it is 32 or 64-bit: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

If it was me, I'd save myself any further headaches and just restart the installation. You'll probably end up spending more time trying to figure out how to salvage this installation than just starting over.

John9786

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015

ok cool - how can I do that? I don't mind waiting the installation time, as long as it works in the very end....

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

You should be able to just boot it off the media (disk or USB drive) that has the Win 10 install image on it instead of the HDD. If not, try pressing F8 right after the BIOS screen until you see the list of boot drives and select the one with the install image on it. If that drive is already set as the default in the BIOS, you should see something that says press any key to begin installation... or something like that. If it isn't the default boot drive, you have to enter the BIOS to change it. You can do that by pressing either DEL or F2 as soon as you power the computer on (some motherboards are different but those are the most common; look it up in your user manual for the motherboard or PC). You should repeatedly tap it but not too fast. Once in the BIOS, look for drive options or boot options and make the Windows image drive the primary one.

John9786

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015

Unfortunately, pressing F8 or even Shift F8 did not work :( . And I tried searching or the drive in the bios but unfortunately I was unsucessful :/ . The only other solution I can think of is obtaining windows 10, burning it to a disk or usb drive and installing it that way...

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

Didn't you say your were doing a fresh install? What were you using for that? But, what you said about a burned DVD or thumb drive is the way to go. Microsoft actually made it really easy. Just go to this page, DL the media creation tool and follow the steps. You will need either a blank DVD or a minimum of [I think] a 4GB USB drive. Just choose which version (home or pro) and if it is 32 or 64-bit: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Solution

John9786

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015
I was using Windows 10 prior to reinstalling it. I had encountered an error, making my monitor display vertical purple lines across the screen. In the hope to fix the problem i wiped my pc and began reinstalling windows 10 in order to resolve the issue. In the end I figured the new GPU I had bought a few months ago was 'dead' when I replaced it with my old; and from there I tried proceeding with the windows 10 installation and encountered yet another error. But anyway thanks for helping, looks like I'll just follow that link you provided, thanks again!!

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

No problem, if you run into any problems, just post it on here or you can always start a new thread if it is a new issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.