monitor upgrade help best for dota2

Nobbo91

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
Hello

so i am looking at getting a new monitor since i have some extra cash and my current monitor i have had for about 5 years. i am currently using a BenQ G2220HD. http://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/pc-mac/monitors-and-projectors/monitors/benq-g2220hd-675708/review

now i mainly play dota 2 and counterstrike GO and just wandering if someone could give me some ideas on what sort of monitors would be best to play these games on. e.g 144Hz Monitor, Higher res then 1080p monitor??

i am looking at spending around $300 - $400 and just wanting the best experince playing the games above. at the moment i get around 120 fps in both games.

Thanks.

Games like DOTA and CS:Go don't really have great quality to begin with, nor do they actually need 144Hz. Just about any 1080p monitor should be more or less the same. If you really want 144Hz, the ASUS VG248QE isn't bad, and only $270 to boot.

You won't find any 144Hz 1440p or higher monitors for under $450, and most are above $500.

Nobbo91

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
okay yeah well just from reading online some people say the upgrade from a 60hz to 144hz is noticeable and also worth it. then others say that playing a t a higher res is also pretty good. so just trying to work out what would best suit me considering my needs and budget.

Higher refresh rate is always better, regardless of the games.

Higher resolution is always better but only if your rig is powerful enough to run it properly....and....
Monitor size has something to do with the optimal resolution along with how far you are sitting.
If you are sitting between 3-5 feet away, 1080p/1200p is excellent for 24" while 1440p/1600p for 27". (for ultra-wide 2560x1080 for 29" and 3440x1440 for 34"). I do not recommend getting 1080p for 27" but this is not bad.

144Hz 2560x1440 monitors are all above USD500, I think....unfortunately.

Absolutely false. Many games have logic/physics loop limits, usually fairly high but some like Dark Souls are capped at 30 for collision and physics. Rendering faster than that doesn't actually render anything useful, and forcing the system to run the loop faster can break the game. Most MOBA games are fine, but it's not a certainty.

Same as above, but with HUD resizing issues as main. Some games have fixed HUD sizes that can be impossible to read at higher resolutions. Most games are fine, but claiming it is "always better" is not helpful.

Nobbo91, if you have Nvidia cards, why not consider using DSR to improve quality and get a AOC G2460PG with g-sync and 144hz? It might give you the best of both worlds.

@basroil:
Games capped @30 fps? logic/physics limit loop affected by the monitor?
Monitor refresh rate is not the fps rendered by the GPU. The GPU is rendering things not being forced by the monitor to do certain fps.
Monitor refresh rate is only the max fps the monitor can display and at the same time how fast the monitor can refresh the picture.
The faster the monitor can go the better for you. less or no screen tearing, smoother, etc.

More resolution is also better for PC monitor.
Unreadable HUD or HUD size issue is mainly only the problem for TVs, since you are sitting far from it.
Even 1080p has already HUD issues on TVs, if you sit far.
For monitor, I have never encountered this issue.

"Monitor refresh rate is not the fps rendered by the GPU. The GPU is rendering things not being forced by the monitor to do certain fps.
Monitor refresh rate is only the max fps the monitor can display and at the same time how fast the monitor can refresh the picture.
The faster the monitor can go the better for you. less or no screen tearing, smoother, etc."
1) If a game is capped, all aspects except for monitor output are capped, including device inputs and output frames. No amount of monitor improvements will help, and any monitor with a refresh rate higher than the game will be fine.
2) The monitor refresh rate has nothing to do with game FPS. The refresh rate is simply a data transfer timer, and FPS is simply how many output frames can be sent to the buffer(s). Enabling v-sync will force your system to wait for that timer before clearing the buffers, but it's still not boing to be synced perfectly.
3) Screen taring can be improved (but not eliminated, only g-sync/freesync or v-sync will actually do that) with higher framerates, but "smoother" depends on a ton of variables and your definition of smoother.

As for higher refresh rates helping make the images "sharp", I'll have to call BS on that one. What you (Nobbo91) should look for if you want less ghosting is a monitor with fast pixel response, with black to white and grey-grey responses under 9ms (for 60Hz monitor) and preferably as fast as you can get it. Resistance to ghosting actually doesn't depend on refresh rate, rather the panel composition and display controller. It just happens to be that many of the faster displays also have higher refresh rates.

And of course, this all depends on what your hardware driving that monitor is. If you have less than a GTX950 or AMD's 360 and a decent dual core, your system might not be able to produce frames fast enough to make a difference. If you have a 970 or better, you can probably drive those games at 144Hz with DSR enabled to improve quality as well.

"Fast pixel response", we've had that for over 5 years, today it doesn't even matter. Manufacturers measure this differently. Response time is not at all related to "ghosting", because the response time will be limited to the refresh rate' regardless, meaning 5 ms on a 60 Hz is going to have the same amount of ghosting as a 1 ms 60 Hz, it's just marketing, that a lot of people happens to fall for. A higher refresh rate will eliminate ghosting, not the other way around.

Nobbo91

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014
Hey guys just wanted to thank everyone for the input. Really appreciate it. See I thought buying a new screen would be easy guess there is more to it.

At the moment I'm running i7 950 and a r9 280. I am thinking of going with a screen with a better refresh rate over a higher resolution.
Has anyone had any experience with this monitor or know much about it? Seems like a good deal...
https://m.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-24-led-144hz-gaming-monitor/

Sucks it's only 2mm bigger than my current screen but oh well.

Any more inputs greatly appreciated.

Nobbo91

Reputable
Aug 18, 2014

yeah just wondering if the asus is worth the price difference as the kogan is $269 and the asus here is $450..