8.1 to 10 upgrade on GT60, laptop powers on, no bios, no MSI splash, black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metfighter

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Hey everyone, would appreciate some input on this issue because I haven't been able to find a similar problem.

Yesterday I got a notification that my windows 10 upgrade was ready on my MSI GT60-0NE laptop and decided to give it a try because I really disliked windows 8.1. Windows update went through downloading the files and preparing the computer for installation. It then did the usual, configuring updates on the blue screen, got to 100% and just shut down completely. I left it there for about 5 minutes and decided to try to power it back on. When turning the computer back on, it stayed on for about a minute and then cut itself back off. After waiting a minute it turned back on, then back off again. It kept repeating this for about 5 minutes. During this phase I saw absolutely nothing on the screen, no MSI loading splash screen, no cursor, absolutely nothing at all. I couldn't enter the BIOS, couldn't run recovery or even get into safe mode. Absolutely nothing worked. The battery light was also flashing blue which I had never seen before. During this time the hard drive light was flashing and flickering the usual red light.

I did a hard reset on the computer and then turned it back on. When i powered it back on the screen was still completely blank, no MSI splash screen, no cursors, couldn't enter the BIOS or anything. During this time the hard drive light was a steady red. The blue battery light was no longer there and it was back to its usual constant red light. After about 10 minutes the computer turned itself off. Being frustrated I left it overnight and tried again this morning.

When I power the computer on now, there is no hard drive light. It doesn't even give a single flash of red. The computer will stay on but just stays there at the black screen. I've tried to look for solutions but I can't get anything to work. The only thing I can hear running is the fan.

I've tried to remove the hard drive and boot to see if I could get into bios, still a black screen.
I've tried removing the video card and booting to see if I could get anything through integrated graphics, still a black screen.
I've tried to plug the computer into another monitor, still a black screen but it does recognize the signal.

I have no idea what to try now and any advice will be extremely helpful. This is the first time I have had any problems with this computer, it usually runs amazing.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell has happened to my computer?

Specs for the GT60-0NE 403-US:
Intel Core i7 3630QM (2.40 GHz)
Nvidia GTX 680M (4GB)
Windows 8.1 64-bit (Windows 10 now?)

Solution
See if if you can access and disconnect the CMOS battery connector from the motherboard. Leave it disconnected for about five minutes. Press and hold the power button with the battery removed and the unit unplugged, while the cmos battery is disconnected, then reconnect everything and see if you can access the bios.
See if if you can access and disconnect the CMOS battery connector from the motherboard. Leave it disconnected for about five minutes. Press and hold the power button with the battery removed and the unit unplugged, while the cmos battery is disconnected, then reconnect everything and see if you can access the bios.

Solution

Metfighter

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008

Thanks for your reply. Just tried this and I still cannot access the BIOS but the hard drive light flashed on for a second during this start up. Are there any other solutions or does this mean that my motherboard is screwed?

Metfighter

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
So i ended up leaving the computer on for about an hour and got to an upgrading windows screen! Thank you so much for your input, I will let you know if I have any more issues. You're a lifesaver.

Status
Not open for further replies.