What does C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18 use for ? why is it causing vcredist 2010 and 2008 not to install

Status
Not open for further replies.

omidelf

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
i had a problem with installing vcredist_2010 and vcredist_2008 , i couldn't install them ( i have windows 10 64bit) , but i found a solution that i should :

In short: Rename the folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18 to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18_old

During successful installation of KB3045318 this folder is created again, automatically.

At the end, I copied the missing files from the original folder to the new folder.

but my question is , WHY ? why doing this is fixing the problem ? is it really a fix ? or just a bypass ? and am i going to have problem because of this ? like is it really installed or its installed but not completely ?

Solution
The RSA keys provide a method of cryptotography that is used for encryption and decryption of data between your machine and web services like online shopping and online banking. I would compare the old registry key with the new registry key that was created. Maybe they are the same and you just had a setup bug. But, I do think the length of the keys were changed over the year to use longer keys because the shorter key length could be decrypted in real time because of the fast CPUs we have now. You may find problems with web services that need to be secure.

omidelf

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

are you saying its going to cause some problem ? also why

The RSA keys provide a method of cryptotography that is used for encryption and decryption of data between your machine and web services like online shopping and online banking. I would compare the old registry key with the new registry key that was created. Maybe they are the same and you just had a setup bug. But, I do think the length of the keys were changed over the year to use longer keys because the shorter key length could be decrypted in real time because of the fast CPUs we have now. You may find problems with web services that need to be secure.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.