Recording audio during console gaming

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Hi.

I want to record console gameplay with a commentary/voice-over. I have a recording device to record the gameplay.

How do I record the voice-over audio?

If I plug a headset into my computer to record I then can't hear the game audio which I need to be able to hear.

If I plug in an external mic it's hard to know where to put it (I have a clip on one and no desk close for a standing one).

Both also pick up the sound of my controllers as they're so close. The clip on also picks up on noises from movement.

If I have the sound on on the TV they pick up that (if it's loud enough for me to hear, they pick it up) and I can't wear head/earphones (plugged into the TV) to hear game audio if I have a headset on for the mic.

What's the best way for me to record the voice-over audio and still be able to hear the game?

Thanks.

You need to specify:

a) Game console, and
b) Recording device

*From what I understand, game consoles take the MIC sound and send that out the INTERNET connection? (not the HDMI connection or you'd hear your own voice through the TV speakers).

I would think you'd need a recording device that can take in the MIC input to record just like it does your HDMI input, split that (one back to console, one to record).

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
a) PS2, PS3, xbox 360
b) Relliance EC010 HD Video Capture

It has a mic input. Problem is the audio (game and voice) and video are one file and the voice audio is very quiet. I can't turn the voice audio up without turning the game audio up too which is no use.

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

Haven't watched all the video yet but thanks for the link.

So I could put the mic jack in the PC to record and audio jack to TV/recording device to hear game audio?

Yeah, I believe they do, but sadly the older consoles don't and they're currently what I want to record on, but I'll be happy when I get a PS4 soon if it's an easier set up lol.