Where is search in Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastiff37

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
I've wasted 20 minutes of my life trying to figure out how to search for files on my computer in Win10. Please, how do you do it? Everything I try ends up in a stupid bing thing in my browser. Is this really so complicated? I want to pick a folder and search inside it.

Solution

1) No, it does BOTH.
2) I actually DISABLED web search from the Start Menu for now.

*My advice is to launch Windows Explorer:

1) Start Menu-> "File Explorer"
2) type what you want to find in the upper-right search bar

(Note when you search this way you search whatever FOLDER is displayed. For example, if you open Windows Explorer/File Explorer then on the left click "C:" drive note at the top it shows "This PC:\ Local Disc C:\" so you'll be searching the entire C: partition.

If you know your files are in "Documents" then it's better to search that directly)

*There will be folder...

USAFRet

Titan

Right click On the Start button
Select Search
On the Tool icon (looks like a little gear), turn OFF "Cortana can give you..." and "Search online..."

1) No, it does BOTH.
2) I actually DISABLED web search from the Start Menu for now.

*My advice is to launch Windows Explorer:

1) Start Menu-> "File Explorer"
2) type what you want to find in the upper-right search bar

(Note when you search this way you search whatever FOLDER is displayed. For example, if you open Windows Explorer/File Explorer then on the left click "C:" drive note at the top it shows "This PC:\ Local Disc C:\" so you'll be searching the entire C: partition.

If you know your files are in "Documents" then it's better to search that directly)

*There will be folder shortcuts from the Start Menu for frequently used folders and pinned folders. Simply click the ARROW on the right of "File Explorer" rather than opening it directly.

For example, click SM-> File Explorer (right arrow)-> Documents

Update:
I think Indexing is turned on by default though note it can cause problems for some people such as a memory leak and high CPU usage. If that happens to you then investigate turning Indexing off. Indexing simply makes searching faster as it scans your local drives (or at least the folders you've allowed in Search options).

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.