Triple Screen set-up (2 Monitors + 1 TV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

netrunner3242

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014
Dear Tom's hardware community,

It seems like ya'll know answer to my every problem!

This one is bugging me as CCC software is playing games with me.

Well I have got Dual X R9 280 graphics card with two monitors one connected via DVI and the other one via HDMI.

I have decided to mount my TV above the one of the PC monitors hoping that I will actually use the TV I bought last year.

I connected it via HDMI cable through HDMI to DisplayPort switch. Computer sees it, and I am able to use TV which is nice but the problem starts when I want all of them! I mean I can only use one of the monitors + TV and it seems impossible to use all of them at once which is a problem.

Either it's me who struggles with CCC software or something is wrong. Is it possible to run them all at once? is something missing?

It just refuses to display on all of them at once.

Thank you!

edit.

I just realised it is in wrong section! How do I change it? :v

Solution
The issue is that the R9 280 only has 2 clocks for non DP signals. Okay, now that we got that confusing thing out of the way this is what it means: you can only use 2 forms of HDMI, DVI, or VGA connections at once. Currently you are using one DVI and two HDMI.

Your next comment:
"But I am using a DP to HDMI adapter". I am assuming this is a cheap passive adapter. This makes the graphics card see it as an HDMI. What you need is an ACTIVE DP do HDMI adapter. When you bought the adapter, if it did not say "ACTIVE" it is safe to assume it is passive. The active adapters are much more expensive as well.

So what does an active adapter do?
It internally converts DP to HDMI. That way the card still thinks it is sending out a DP signal and...

gilbadon

Distinguished
The issue is that the R9 280 only has 2 clocks for non DP signals. Okay, now that we got that confusing thing out of the way this is what it means: you can only use 2 forms of HDMI, DVI, or VGA connections at once. Currently you are using one DVI and two HDMI.

Your next comment:
"But I am using a DP to HDMI adapter". I am assuming this is a cheap passive adapter. This makes the graphics card see it as an HDMI. What you need is an ACTIVE DP do HDMI adapter. When you bought the adapter, if it did not say "ACTIVE" it is safe to assume it is passive. The active adapters are much more expensive as well.

So what does an active adapter do?
It internally converts DP to HDMI. That way the card still thinks it is sending out a DP signal and does not just try to send out a 3rd HDMI signal.

Why does a passive adapter not work?
A passive adapter simply is a conversion between hdmi and DP. The card thinks it is HDMI even if you have it plugged into DP.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Solution

netrunner3242

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014

You are saying I should get one of active adapters?
Even though pc sees the TV when it is plugged in?

Thanks for your reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.