How to increase my hardware knowledge?

Nextg_Rival

Honorable
Jan 16, 2015
Hey,

I'll try to keep this short. I am trying to improve my knowledge in hardware because I thought it'd be useful. I am looking for ways to build up on it, but most guides are for absolute beginners or tech pros. So in short:

What I know: Basic PC related stuff - what components do, how to read most specs, how to pick components for a given purpose, how to build a PC.

What I want to know: More in-depth architecture stuff, understanding why certain specs are good (for example, I know shaders are good for special effects, but why?), knowing a wider range of hardware information overall - basically having a true expert's hardware knowledge.

What I am not interested in: Super in-depth stuff such as circuitry. I am not interested in electrical engineering - I am just interested in hardware architecture. I am also not interested in possessing knowledge about how to diagnose and repair PCs - I just want to know most there is to them.

What I want to be able to do: For example, I want to be able to tell why Processor X is better than Processor Y due to usage of specific thing Z in architecture R. I want to be able to read architecture related articles without feeling completely lost (for instance, the part of Tom's hardware article on Fury X's HBM was very confusing for me and I don't understand it). I want to have wider hardware knowledge about all kinds of stuff such as CPUs, RAM, GPUs and how they work in different compositions (for instance, supercomputers, mainframes, servers as well as others such as multi-processor computing, GPU processing and so forth). In other words, I just want lots of applicable knowledge that will provide me with understanding.

Some resources and giving me general directions on where to start, what communities to interact with and a list of things to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

Solution
Although I cannot teach you or have the knowledge to do so, but sometime starting at the very basics is required as everything combined makes the choices you make the correct choices.

I hope some one here can give you the information you seek, but try finding books about it and just read read read. Good luck, wish i could help more.

RJMadCat

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
Although I cannot teach you or have the knowledge to do so, but sometime starting at the very basics is required as everything combined makes the choices you make the correct choices.

I hope some one here can give you the information you seek, but try finding books about it and just read read read. Good luck, wish i could help more.

Solution

Nextg_Rival

Honorable
Jan 16, 2015
Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it. I assure you that I posses "basic" knowledge in hardware, as stated in the post. However, my knowledge in electrical engineering is very limited and almost non-existent. I have a book about computer systems, but it is directed at post-graduate computer science or computer engineering students and has tons of electrical engineering related terminology in it. For the above reason I can not particularly benefit from it at this time. One of the reasons I posted here was to see if anyone could suggest a good book.