Suggestion for upgrading a video card

Spavid

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
Hello community!

Some 2 years ago I purchased an ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7950 (more specifically, this). I must say that I am extremely pleased with it, even after 2 years (considering the gaming industry's rush for graphic quality). I played everything from Crysis 3 to Powder Toy to Stalin vs. Martians with absolutely no problem. It even became a habit setting everything to "Very High" :)

Recently my brother burnt his video card (using some unknown dark magic) and I proposed giving mine to him. Now I am faced with choosing one to take this "behemoth's" place. I know that upgrading won't do much, but I won't downgrade either :)

So I said, why not ask some pros for suggestions? What graphic cards do you recommend?
My budget is somewhere under 450 euros. Any GPU would do (though I prefer AMD).

Thanks in advance :)

For reference, a new R9 285 or 380 will perform just slightly better than your old 7950. On the Nvidia side, a GTX 960 would be similar to either of the new AMD cards.
Prices can be quite a bit different here in the U.S. so it is difficult to recommend a specific card. The GTX 970 and the R9 290(x)/390 provide similar value to each other and would be a good step up from your old card. If you care about heat generation and power use, Nvidia is the better option. Otherwise I would look for what is on sale.

Spavid

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015

I took a look at what you suggested and I think I'll go with a 390X. It is just a little bit over the budget but at least I will change it when Vienna's Christmas concerts stop :D
Thank you very much.