Concerning problem/loss of power on pc

grandviken

Distinguished
May 10, 2014
for the last 2 weeks now i would start playing a game and it runs perfectly fine, no problems, pc still cool nothing over 50C for cpu/gpu/mobo or anything of the sort. What happens now is that when i quit the game. Try to either load up another game, or even watch a show or movie i downloaded (using mpc-hc) the computer will completely shut off randomly, no lag or blue screen just complete loss of power. I have to unplug the psu and reset the switch on it to be able to turn it back on. This happened at one point while loading up diablo 3, to when i tried to play the game again i had to run a repair on it because some files got corrupted. I thought at first it was a psu problem since it was always running extremely hot, but after some cooling adjustments, its now running nice and cool even under load. I also thought it may have been the outlet i was using, but after 2 different surge protectors and outlets the problem still occurs. If it lies in a new psu/motherboard then thats fine, only concern is not being able to afford it at the moment, and i need this computer for work related business as well.

System
AMD FX 8320 stock clocks - cooling with hyper 212 evo push/pull config
amd hd 7870 stock clocks
8GB corsair vengeance ram (stock)
psu - xtremegear 800W
Gigabyte GA-970-D3

ive swapped out the cpu/gpu from the originals well over a year and a half ago
both the motherboard and psu ive been using well over 4 years now. *IF* those are my problems then ill get new ones, but i cant for the time being due to financial constraints.

Lawrence Taylor

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2014
ok let me just say this. i bought my rig from Cyberpower and cyberpower is not the best company you should buy your rig from. the same power ssupply you have is the stock PSU they gave me. I had to buy a new one for my computer to boot up. Anyway your PSU is very low quality. More then likely the PSU blew out. I'm sure its not the motherboard. Replace your PSU

grandviken

Distinguished
May 10, 2014
curious as to how something blew out when it works fine during just browsing or a gaming session, its after i have either watched something once or played something once (i have played smite for example for 4 hours straight and nothing happened) its after loading up something a second time does it cut off.

*update* as of today anytime i load up Diablo 3 the pc now cuts off. Complete loss of power, it seems that my internal card reader still has power as the light is showing, but i cannot just not hit the power button to restart it. I have to reset the psu still in order for it to turn back on. Ran several virus scans, nothing. Reset bios to defaults, still doing it.

*update 2* now shuts off after starting up anygame. The game will start, either hits splash screen, or is loaded up and i click in it. PC shuts off, requiring the reset of psu.

grandviken

Distinguished
May 10, 2014
please help this is becoming incredibly frustrating not knowing what it could be, i plan on ordering a new psu tonight but if i dont have to id really like to try to fix this if possible

Lawrence Taylor

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2014

Bro for a fact its your PSU, i hope when you get your PSU tonight its really a good one. i bet your PC turns on when you get the new one. PSU is so trash that it wont deliver all its power to your GPU card.. Another question i have to ask is do you have your GPU card overclocked?

grandviken

Distinguished
May 10, 2014

no, not overclocked, nothing is overclocked.. Pc turns on fine, i can browse online fine, anytime now i open a game or video program it shuts off. I ordered the psu but it wont get here till monday.

Lawrence Taylor

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2014

sorry man, i've ran out of ideas, imma stick with the faulty PSU, so its best that you wait to monday