21:9 vs 16:9

l_man2012

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
Hello, at the moment i have 3 19.5 inch monitors. They are getting a bit old and i am looking at upgrading to another monitor. I am thinking about upgrading to a 34" LG ultra wide monitor but i ma not sure if i should just get a normal 27" monitor (AOC, LG, Samsung). The things that i do are competitive CS:GO and i intended to start some light video editing. Please help me.

Thanks

Hello,

I would personally just get a monitor with a 16:9 aspect ratio, but if you're interested in 21:9, video editing is going to be fantastic, but not so much gaming in shooters. However, it's all preference, not saying you can't game on a 21:9 monitor. Here's an old thread where I try to explain the benefits of one, though video editing is not one of them.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2784803/quick-display-advice.html

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
A 27" monitor a few feet away will make you happy I'm sure, but if you have the video card(s) to support it go with the larger monitor. The key is to get a good response time and refresh rate. 120Hz (or 144) is nice, and easier on the eyes over time. IPS panels have superior color supposedly and are becoming more popular, so if you can afford that go for it - although most of the lower end models I think are limited to 60Hz.