Gaming PC as CAD Workstation.

1 BHP

Reputable
Sep 24, 2015
Hello, Community. This is my first post here.
I am an engineering student. I need a workstation for CAD programmes like SolidWorks, ANSYS etc. But the problem is Xeon processors, Quadro GPUs are too expensive and I can't afford them right now. To compensate this I chose following specification:

CPU: Intel i7 6700k
GPU: Asus GTX 960 4GB, DDR5
MOBO: Asus Maximus VIII Ranger ( For proper overclocking )
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 8GB, 2133 MHz ( Will upgrade to 16 GB)
COOLER: Corsair H100i GTX

My budget is 100k INR ( 1500 USD )

I'm not a professional designer. But will work as one after couple of months. I'm gonna work as designer for FSAE events. ( SW, ANSYS )
Will this workstation work perfectly fine for next 4-5 years?? Will it handle 2000-3000 parts assembly?? Is there anything I need to consider??
Atmospheric temperature variation 16 C- 40 C.

Ralston18

Titan
1 BHP,

There are no certain answers to your questions.

However, if you look at the system requirements/hardware requirements for the software applications you intend to use you can compare those specifications to the described workstation.

You might need some sort of stylus/pad to draw on.... Any 3D drawing requirements? 3D monitor?

Likewise for the software: Check the specifications but be aware that such specifications are often generated via ideal situations and some fluffy marketing. E.g., 2000-3000 parts assembly might be handled but you can only see one sub-assembly at a time and that may be limited to 100 parts. The entire assembly may not be completely visible all at the same time. Or in enough detail if so....

You may be able to run the software but the overall performance could be slow if you do not match or exceed some minimal level specification.

Be ready to decide what trade-offs you are willing to make with respect to hardware and software. And budget.

I would not expect a workstation to work perfectly fine for the next 4-5 years. You should also consider how your work is to be backed up and the backups verified.

As for the temperature question that too can be answered by the recommended temperature ranges for your computer and hardware components. Probably not an issue unless you box in the computer somewhere that restricts the airflow for cooling.

Ralston18

Titan
Hello 1 BHP,

Per your PM:

You have already made progress with respect to answering your original post.

If "everything fits good except the GPU" then you probably should consider buying and installing one of the certified GPUs. Just budget accordingly.

Not only should you get better performance you also sort of eliminate the CAD software vendor from blaming the GPU if you have performance problems and are using an uncertfied, low end GPU.

Just make sure that your PSU is sufficient enough to meet the power demands of the GPU you select.

Running the SW and running the SW well (i.e., better performance) are two different things.

I doubt that you really will want to find yourself in a time crunch to deliver and waiting for a slow computer and/or low end GPU to do all the rendering etc.

Very true that it all is confusing. Very difficult to decide how well to trust "certifications", performance claims etc..

Applies to almost everything nowadays....

Pick two or three of the certified GPUs as candidates for purchase. Continue your research and look for product reviews, manufacturer FAQ's, Customer Forums, etc.. Read the User Manuals/Guides.

You might discover that one product will not fit into any of your available PCI slots. Or maybe only provides the required resolution with certain monitors... Who knows...?

Anyway at some point you will be able to say that one of your choices is the most suitable for your requirements and budget.

Purchase that GPU and go forward.