[First build] How's it look? Suggestions? Planning on buying soon.

Cloudracing

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
Hey everyone, I'm building my first computer and this is what I have. I've copied the reddit guide for posting builds so yea. I was wondering if y'all could look over and see if the build looks alright and if there are areas where I can save money or if there are parts that are worth upgrading for a little extra and stuff like that.

What is your intended use for this build?
Primarily gaming but I also plan on using FL Studio for music and Lightroom/Photoshop for photo editing from time to time as a hobby.
If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, FPS, game settings)
probably 1920 x 1080, 60fps, mid-high settings. Of course higher is better but it's not like I NEED to play on max settings. Just as long as I get good fps. I'll be playing a lot of MOBA and FPS type games if that helps.
What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?
I'm looking around $1,200 - $1,300 or so including the missing mouse/headphones which I still have to look for. Although if I can save money somewhere I'm all for it.
In what country are you purchasing your parts?
USA

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Fv7NG
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Fv7NG/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T2 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($11.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-E/USB3.1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($70.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $92.99)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $99.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($98.20 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer G247HYL bmidx 60Hz 23.8" Monitor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate Wired Gaming Keyboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Tax: $83.97 (wowowow)
Total: $1,270.07

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-25 01:20 EDT-0400

Provide any additional details you wish below.
This is my first build and I'm not a hardcore gaming enthusiast or anything so I'm not sure if I'm overspending on something or not. I've had some friends look over it and they said it was fine. But I just wanted another opinion on where I can save and if the build will work alright. I also don't plan on overclocking so there's that too. I bought the case and psu already since I'm pretty set on those and also because there was a discount thing that expired soon (dunno if that was a gimmick or something... anyways). I also chose windows 10 over 7 or 8.1 because a game I want to play (Gigantic) requires it. Thank you all so much!

Cioby

Distinguished
What's with the expensive keyboard? Ditch that and maybe get a i7 4790k for long term use. Otherwise, it looks good. Check the space your case has for GPU, you need at least around 33 cm space to make sure high end GPUs will fit.

Cloudracing

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
From what I learned by doing research online, I chose the i5 since I'll most likely be using the computer for gaming purposes which I've read relies more on a better GPU for increased performance rather than a higher CPU? The i7 would be the better choice if I were doing heavy video editing or CPU intensive stuff like that of which I will be doing minimally. That and the big price jump between the two convinced me to settle with the i5 so that I could put more of my budget into other things like nice peripherals and the GPU hence the $100 keyboard haha.

I will double check on the GPU space in the case though to make sure it fits!

Thank you for the reply :D

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

drop the cpu cooler, drop the keyboard

get a h97 mobo

with the money saved get a gtx 970

JerryBerry

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
I feel like with a single GPU gtx 960 and an intel chipset, required wattage shouldn't be huge. Especially with a 80+ gold rated PSU, a good 550W one such as a seasonic or corsair could save you 20-30 dollars.