Am I screwed with a few year old laptop due to drivers w/ win10?Also clean install better performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
since win10 has been out a little bit now I thought I'd ask, when it came out and I had troubles, there wasn't much info out on google tbh. The day win10 came out, with my late 2011 model Samsung laptop I upgraded from win 8.1 to 10 via the built in win10 upgrade tool, I noticed performance was worse than 8.1 though.

Startup time took much longer as well as random lag and sluggish performance during daily usage like browsing,etc. The laptop is decently fast and smooth and never lags on 8.1 doing the same thing. Also when I shut the laptop screen it would turn the pc off instead of hibernating it like it does on 8.1.

The biggest problem of all however was, the touchpad quit working right, I could no longer scroll with one finger on the far right of the touchpad, like any other laptop I've ever used....(http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Series-NP305V5A-A04US-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B005OKPSTE is my laptop) I could only find old windows 8 drivers on the samsung site (not even 8.1 just the regular 8).

not sure if the sluggish performance was due to it not being a clean install? Why would 8.1 perform pretty fast but yet 10 is sluggish? It made me very wary of ever upgrading my main windows 7 desktop pc as well. I'd like to give it a try due to dx12 improving performance in games. But with a non dx12 gpu like my gtx 660 would it even be worth it?

tl;dr - are older pc's just screwed with 10 due to companies not providing updated drivers? (bad on their part...) ....anybody else with messed up touchpads on win10? Why would 10 be sluggish but 8.1 isn't? And would upgrading my desktop even be worth it if my gpu isn't dx12 anyway? (gtx 660, 8gb ram, i5 3570k)

it just really irked me, as my laptop is still quite capable, quad core, 6gb ram, an alright gpu for light gaming (good enough for me anyway, I know elitists would scoff at it), and the laptop isn't THAT old, but yet samsung refuses to make windows 10 drivers for it for the touchpad to work right....geez, you'd think that'd be KINDA important for a laptop right?

Solution
Windows 10 upgrades can be highly problematic, especially due to compatibility issues from drivers carried over from the previous OS. A clean install should solve any slowdowns you might be having, and will give you the opportunity to update your drivers without having to deal with older ones being kept around. You can perform a clean install by creating new installation media using the Windows 10 media creation tool here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

A "Custom" installation without formatting or data loss is a good way of doing it.

As for Windows 10 and touchpad drivers, some have reported success after clean installs. Try after performing the clean install.

Slashgeek

Admirable
Windows 10 upgrades can be highly problematic, especially due to compatibility issues from drivers carried over from the previous OS. A clean install should solve any slowdowns you might be having, and will give you the opportunity to update your drivers without having to deal with older ones being kept around. You can perform a clean install by creating new installation media using the Windows 10 media creation tool here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

A "Custom" installation without formatting or data loss is a good way of doing it.

As for Windows 10 and touchpad drivers, some have reported success after clean installs. Try after performing the clean install.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.