Windows 10 multiple errors after installing I7-4790k and new motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
After installing my new I7-4790k my Windows 10 has been playing up. I re installed windows 10 onto one of my hard drives (the boot drive) just to make sure that there would be no incompatibility problems. But so far here are the things that frequently happen to my windows 10 (and yes I have re installed it again): Now and again the icons for things just disappear the names will still be there for example recycle bin will have no icon but the name will still be there however when I go to use it I cant empty it, the same with mp3s sometimes the icon disappears and I cant play them, after restart this is fixed but only temporarily. Then I have experienced moments when in windows explorer everything disappears, no I have not hidden anything but my windows explorer is blank but not crashed. Then also I cant delete my "windows.old" folder from the latest install even through disk cleaner when I go to delete it doesn't show in there however in windows 10 there is a windows.old folder with all my old files inside that I no longer need. I cant download anything from the internet because it freezes and just says waiting (google chrome). Finally most annoyingly I have TERRIBLE performance issues, I have just gone from a FX-6350 and GTX 780 to a I7-4790k and the performance is worse because windows constantly has these little bugs that wont fix. I would appreciate any help.
System specs:
I7-4790k
4GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM
8GB of kingston RAM
GTX 780 OC running DX12
H81M-DGS Asrock Motherboard
2TB western digital green (brand new nothing on it)
120GB kingston SSD (some games on it)
1TB seagate Barracuda (windows 10 and the rest of my stuff on it)
64-bit Windows 10 - Legitimate copy - not windows 10 professional

Solution
If you have a windows.old folder then you have not done a clean install. Performing a refresh, repair or renew is not going to remove the crap brought with the upgrade process from the previous OS version. It only replaces the core OS files and settings. I would suggest doing so according to the instructions as outlined at the following link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2784691/ditch-problematic-win10-upgrade-replace-clean-install.html

After performing the clean install, install all the drivers here:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81M-DGS/?cat=Download&os=Win1064

You can try just installing those drivers FIRST, to see if it corrects the problem, before doing a clean install, but doing a clean install is the best way to...
If you have a windows.old folder then you have not done a clean install. Performing a refresh, repair or renew is not going to remove the crap brought with the upgrade process from the previous OS version. It only replaces the core OS files and settings. I would suggest doing so according to the instructions as outlined at the following link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2784691/ditch-problematic-win10-upgrade-replace-clean-install.html

After performing the clean install, install all the drivers here:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81M-DGS/?cat=Download&os=Win1064

You can try just installing those drivers FIRST, to see if it corrects the problem, before doing a clean install, but doing a clean install is the best way to ensure you don't have further problems going forward.

Solution

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015

Thanks for helping me out. I kind of figured that it might not be a fresh install however it seems funny to me that even when going from windows 10 to windows 10 like I did (re installing it) it doesn't freshly install.

It doesn't. I know it makes no sense, but all it really does is reinstall the system over the current system, so that in the event that the registry or file system has been corrupted, it will correct that. In cases where there are fundamental complications due to the upgrade itself, a clean install is the only fairly certain method of correcting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.