One of my friends had a lot of trouble upgrading to Windows 10 from windows 8.1. He did it without a clean install and he had

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varzoh

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
Is that fixed or should I wait another 2-3 months so I dont have that problem because he was sick of all the errors he just did a clean install I don't wanna lose my stuff. Please let me know if there are still problems like that or if everything is fixed and i can update happily with little to no errors thanks

Solution
Doing an upgrade is MANDATORY if you want to to install Windows 10 for free. Doing a clean install is HIGHLY recommended AFTER doing the upgrade, which is no different than with previous versions of Windows, except perhaps even more so in this case. When you upgrade to a newer version of windows there are always incompatibilities regarding older software titles, drivers and hardware support in the BIOS or UEFI. The ONLY way to eliminate those issues is by doing a clean install so that the cruft from the upgrade is removed.

Considering the amount of free cloud storage available out there, and the relatively minimal expense of external or secondary storage drives, backing up any important data, files, folders and settings shouldn't be a...
Doing an upgrade is MANDATORY if you want to to install Windows 10 for free. Doing a clean install is HIGHLY recommended AFTER doing the upgrade, which is no different than with previous versions of Windows, except perhaps even more so in this case. When you upgrade to a newer version of windows there are always incompatibilities regarding older software titles, drivers and hardware support in the BIOS or UEFI. The ONLY way to eliminate those issues is by doing a clean install so that the cruft from the upgrade is removed.

Considering the amount of free cloud storage available out there, and the relatively minimal expense of external or secondary storage drives, backing up any important data, files, folders and settings shouldn't be a major roadblock. If you want to move to Windows 10 I would make the assumption that in all probability you're going to need to follow the upgrade with a clean install if you want to minimize any potential or actual issues. There are a fair number of users who have done the upgrade and encountered minimal problems afterwards, but there an equally fair number of them that had no choice but to do a clean install to get their systems working correctly.

If you decide to do so, this guide should provide the necessary information to do the job correctly and without hassle.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2784691/ditch-problematic-win10-upgrade-replace-clean-install.html

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.