Can't Find Shortcuts in Windows 10 Start Menu

accesscpu

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
I'm having some issues getting the complete customization I'm looking for with my Start Menu in my recent upgrade to Windows 10.

In tinkering with the folders it seems that Microsoft has changed how Windows handles this. It appears that they allow only one folder in the Start Menu for each directory now and will no longer break things up into their subfolders (IE: everything will appear there, but they will be all dumped into the root part of the folder instead of having many levels you can drill down into from the Start Menu). I'm wondering why they changed that?

But I can live with that if I really have to (not like we have much choice right?), but I'm still having trouble moving a couple pre-installed shortcuts. I want to move/rearrange things like the calculator, the calendars, Candy Crush Saga and a large portion of other pre-installed programs still stuck here that don't appear in the normal Start Menu directory. Is there somewhere else new in Windows 10 these things are hiding? I simply must get more control over my setup's customization if I'm going to be able to enjoy Windows 10.

Thanks for any help! I'm sure this is just growing pains of a new OS, but still a bit frustrating.

You can make sub-folders, they just act like links to the actual folder. The main reason for the change was probably the fact that nobody really cares about it, and having the extra tabs for each new hierarchy level would end up with no space for the actual information. 99% of people I know just end up putting everything on the desktop anyway.

You do know you can uninstall the programs right? Just right click on them and uninstall. Only a few things like mail can't be removed that way, but if you know powershell then it's not too hard to do.

More than "customization", you should learn proper use instead. A great feature that first showed up in Vista is start search, which would solve your issues instantly. Just press the windows key (or cortana search) and then type the first few letters of the software you want to open. Instant access.

You can also use the live-tiles section for links to software you actually use, an amazingly underrated feature of Win 8. Basically it's the task bar pinning on steroids.

accesscpu

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the reply (and don't take this the wrong way) but I want to use my system the way I want to use it. And what I want to do is move these shortcuts. This is basic Windows 95 functionality that I should be able to accomplish in 2015. So I refer back to my original question; where are these located and why can't I find them in the Start Menu folder with all the rest. They've clearly been tucked away somewhere else.

Thanks!

Nobody has any reason to actually help you with that though, not even Microsoft. The start menu was obsolete a while ago, with no other OSes even using something similar at all.

The apps you're talking about are Universal or Modern apps, and don't work like regular applications. You can add a shortcut for them to any folder you want, but it won't be an easy (i.e. not involving powershell) task to do what you ask.

You'll be much happier and much more productive learning the alternative methods that Windows 10 has to offer (and all of them were available in earlier versions) than spending time making potentially forward compatibility breaking changes to the OS.

accesscpu

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Listen man, I know your trying to help but I get the feeling you're kind of clueless. You really think I'm going to break my OS by moving the calculator? You really thinking I have to use PowerShell to reorganize the metro app? Frankly, I think you attitude about things illustrates how little you know the OS but are just chiming in with nonsensical posts. Plus, how can you say the Start Menu is obsolete? It was the #1 requested feature people wanted back and was one of Windows 10's selling points. Like I said dude, I think you're kinda clueless.

Is there anyone else more knowledgeable that could shed some light here? Clearly I'm not talking out of left field or suggesting anything too crazy.

No, you won't break it moving the shortcut, you'll break it trying to break the auto-sort Windows 10 uses for the "start menu" (which is not a start menu, rather just new chrome for the start screen and the ability to resize).

If you want to try something on your own, you can access the "start menu" folder using opening "shell:AppsFolder". Anything you do with that is on you though.

If an obsolete design idea from when keyboards were still the primary means of input (and indexing took too much space to be worthwhile) is a dealbreaker for you, go download "classic start" or another custom start menu. They do all the work for you and should work without completely screwing up your system (though some sites will add unwanted programs or malware to those, so make sure to scan and properly install)

alchipmunk

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015
I understand what you are saying and I'm having the same problem. I don't have a solution either. On Windows 7 for example, my start menu had folders such as Utilities. Inside that folder was sub folders of different programs. Now with Windows 10, my Utilities folder is still there but no sub folders. Everything was pulled out of the sub folders. So everything is a mess. For example, I have 5 uninstall links and have to right click on each one to figure out which program they belong to. My Adobe folder is ridiculous. I actually like the tiles for a few programs but the All Apps is a disaster. The only work around I've found is creating a shortcut tile to the windows folder that actually contains the shortcuts. Then I can at least find something but that doesn't fix the Start All Apps menu. On my computer, they are located in two places. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs and C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs All my shortcuts in those locations are sorted the same way as they were on Windows 7, I don't know why the All Apps doesn't look the same way. It's just not bothering with the sub folders. Let me know id you find a solution and I will do the same.