Critical Process Died. No OS found on reboot.

quin2195

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014
Up until just recently, my computer has been occasionally crashing and getting the BSOD with error 'Critical Process Died'. Then upon reboot, my OS is not found on my SSD. In order to fix this problem, I usually have to unplug the SATA cable and unplug the SSD from the PSU in order for it to recognize that my drive is there. I've done a little research on the BSOD error and from what I gathered it sounds like I need a fresh install of my OS (which is Windows 10). But, I'm also concerned about my drive not being found after this error occurs. A simple restart of my computer is fine and still recognizes that my drive is there, but not when I get the BSOD.

Anybody have any kind of guidance on where to go from here? I've had this custom built desktop for a little over a year now and although it runs fine, this error does get tedious to fix.

Is the OS not found or is the drive not found? If the BIOS doesn't recognize the disk at boot, it's time for a replacement. If it's just the boot partition not being found, it could be an OS corruption, or could be a motherboard or ssd hardware problem.

RigiRitter

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
Same here. New install did not help. Still crashes every 60-90', often (but not exclusively) after hibernation.

Boot disk (ssd) can be made visible again by:

1) turning computer completely off (not the reset button!)
2) boot into BIOS setup
3) select ssd as boot devise
4) reboot

Avian

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
I see this same issue: random crashes with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, with no minidump even though Windows is configured to create one (minidump process hangs at 0%), then on reboot, my drive cannot be found. Rebooting again allows the drive to be seen. This is a hard drive (not SSD) that reports itself (via SMART etc) as in good health

This started happening immediately after upgrading to Win10 build 10586 from a previous Win10 build. Also, booting Ubuntu from the same drive causes no issues.

This will happen when a drive disconnect and can not reconnect within 30 seconds of a paging request.

First fix the reason the drive can not reconnect within the 30 second timeout.

For example, you can update the bios, you can enable hotswap for the sata port the drive is connected to. You can move the drive cable to the primary Sata controller, you can check the power and data cables to the drive. Thermal contraction and expansion can make and break electrical connections several times a second. Bugs in firmware of the drive can cause timing delays while the drives firmware attempts to run its cleanup routines. You can change the time outs in the registry. Bugs in the chipset drivers can cause the sata controller to reset. Update the cpu chipset drivers and the external sata chipset drivers.

Find out why the drive is not auto reconnecting. If your system has lots of ram, you may find that Windows will not bugcheck until several hours after the drive has been disconnected.

If your bios. Supports hot swapping, enable it. It will not fix the disconnection problem but it can prevent the bugcheck i.e. It is a workaround for the real problem of the drive disconnection.

Hardware and drivers created during the Windows 7 time frame are more likely to have design issues and require specific device driver versions to work around them. basically Windows 7 had many functions disabled by default so a lot of hardware was shipped with broken circuits. Windows 8 turned on the functions and people had problems until they got drivers that disabled the broken circuits.
Windows 10 installs updated drivers and enables the functions again. Motherboard vendors then post updated drivers to disable theyir broken hardware functions. (Post Windows 10 ship) So check your motherboard vendor for updated drivers.