Should I get a PS2?

Catfan67

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
Hello, I'm looking for results as to whether I should get a Sony PlayStation 2. I have been a Nintendo gamer all my life, but there are two PS2 games I am really wanting to get. The games are Taiko: Drum Master and Katamari Damacy. I fear that getting a PS2 will end my Nintendo-console-owning trait and that I will regret ending it. Please guide me to my solution.

(Update 1/17/17: I got a PlayStation 2 last May. Thanks for the help, everyone. Now just to get the games I am looking for...)

If you want to play playstation games go for it... Its not like its some life changing purchase you are about to make.
I gamed across a PS2, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, and now PC. Back before I built my custom PC, I played all 4 consoles depending on what game I wanted, not by brand.

Vynavill

Honorable
I second Archgaull's advice. If you plan on buying and playing just a couple PS2 games and your PC is nice enough, emulating would save you a couple bucks.

We're not talking about a life-changing purchase tho, and you can always sell it once you're done, or keep it in case you want to play those games again.

Catfan67

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
Gam3r01: I am struggling to get the BIOS for PCSX2... and what about the Tatacon for Taiko: Drum Master? Is there some USB port I can use? Otherwise, great advice.
Archagull: Again, BIOS on PCSX2?
Vynavill: I'm serious, BIOS tips?
James Mason: That seems like a sketchy idea because, although the promise of better graphics is a good lure into a PS3. However, it costs bigger money and these games are presumably my only reasons for wanting a PS2.
All: These are great ideas, but two of my friends don't want me to do it, but I may as well ignore them. I have my interests, and they have theirs. Now, it's off to determine how to emulate PS2 or get one for low price.

Catfan67

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
Well, derp. Otherwise, how do I use controllers? Should I buy controller port to USB for Taiko and Katamari?

Vynavill

Honorable
Taiko drums should be emulatable via joypad bindings I believe, while you can use pretty much any analog joypad for common input, albeit an X360 one is recommended IMO.
Sure, it won't be the same as real drums, but it's better than nothing if you just want to buy the games.

You can even use a PS4 one via InputMapper, should you have one handy or should you not have access to a 360 one.

A ps3 or PS4 controller is actually plug n play on windows 8 and above, and you can download the drivers for it for the other versions of windows (well 7 at least). Then in the emulator software you just have to manually set what key is assigned to where.

Catfan67

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
Okay... Well, that's nice, but is there any other way I can get the games (for cheap or free) and with good speed and quality (would a PSP or PSVITA work?)

Vynavill

Honorable
- If you want games for cheap, hope to get lucky over eBay or similar stuff.
- If you want them for free and want them fast, you'll receive no help here, as it's basicly a one-way road there and it's against the ToS you accepted when you signed up.

A PSP/PSVITA can pretty much only help if you're buying digital remakes or same games from the series (not sure Taiko Drum Master has something for the said consoles, but Katamari Damacy should be available, albeit it's under a slightly different name). "cheap" and "free'n'fast" arguments stated above apply here as well.

Catfan67

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015

The cheap part is right, but I didn't mean I wanted the time to get it would be fast, just the perforance of the gaes
Well, I guess I can get a PS2 from eBay or Amazon with the games for stable gameplay and legality (PCSX2 is not completely stable).

Catfan67

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015

It may seem nice and all to you, but it doesn't interest me. Sorry for the letdown!

TRENDING THREADS