Computer freezes after going idle

parity22

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
To start off I've been having this issue practically my whole summer and it's extremely frustrating. My computer will randomly hang/freeze up whenever I'm away from my computer usually happens when it's on idle. I noticed my computer usually goes to sleep mode and then after it will wake up from sleep mode and freeze my computer after that. So could it possibly be some sort of malicious software or background program causing the issue?

Have a Sony Vaio VPCF236FM Windows 10, recently upgraded from Windows 7 - which had the same freezing issue.

Got my laptop in 2011, is my laptop in dying age?

When I leave my computer running in safe mode, computer does not freeze at all.

Slashgeek

Admirable
You may be having difficulty with a Windows feature called hybrid shutdown, which performs a hibernate-like dump of important running processes and kernel components during each shutdown. To disable hybrid shutdown, type "Power plan" in Start and choose the first option. Click "Choose what the power buttons do" on the sidebar. Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable." Uncheck "Turn on fast startup."

parity22

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015

I will try it out, hopefully it works. After 3 months of annoying freezes.

parity22

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015

Laptop still freezes after trying to do the steps you told me by turning off hybrid sleep.

RandomAnimeGamer

Commendable
May 17, 2016

I'm having the same issue with this. I've Googled endlessly, only to find people saying this solution, use power saving mode, or clean install Windows 10. The former 2 don't work and the latter I can't afford to do because I'm in the middle of a semester in University for engineering, so reinstalling all of my required software would take forever. I know this post is 2 years old, but there's no real solutions online and it seems like some forums just regurgitate what Google says instead of providing real solutions.

Update: Well I spoke too soon and found a possible new solution on the HP Forums (Even though the fix is for ASUS Laptops.)
"IF the POWER and WiFi Lights don't go out, try the following fix:
Go to Control Panel / Network and Sharing Center
Click "Change Adapter Settings"
On your active WiFi adapter, Right-Click and click on Properties
Click the Configure button
Click the "Advanced" tab
Scroll down to " Wake on Magic Packet"
Set the value to "Disabled"
Do the same for "Wake on Pattern Match" if you have that setting
Click OK"

For me, this setting wasn't on my Wi-Fi adapter, but my Ethernet adapter did have that setting on. Be sure to check any adapters if you want to try this fix out. I'm trying it out myself right now.

Update: The above solution apparently didn't work for me. On a side-note, turning on airplane mode (thus turning off my Wi-Fi and Ethernet adapters) doesn't solve the problem either because the power light remains on, where the only other light turned on is the num lock.