28” 1440p ips monitor vs 28”4k ips monitor

otaku3230

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
I need to buy one IPS PC monitor for just watching 4k videos (youtube, downloaded movies) and just surfing online only. It will NOT used for gaming or video editing at all. Will I see a huge difference if I use it just as desktop and only sitting 1-2 feet from it? Like big difference in movies (even wallpaper) between the 1400p vs 4k monitor for the size of 28".
Keep in mind please we are only talking about 27-28” monitor and not a 40+ inch monitor/TV which will not be used as a TV (like me siting like 5-9 feet from it).
If their is a video that demonstrate/compare these size of monitors, please let me know!
(I will pick the best answer as I always "pick the best solution"!)

Solution
Have you looked at any of the Ultra-wides? You'll have less horizontal black lines when watching movies in their original format and of course you'll be able to have a lot of things up/open on the desktop with all the screen real-estate.

I'm sure you've been noticing how similar 2k/4k prices are, gamers prefer 2k as it's less taxing but for non gaming I have trouble seeing the difference.

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Have you looked at any of the Ultra-wides? You'll have less horizontal black lines when watching movies in their original format and of course you'll be able to have a lot of things up/open on the desktop with all the screen real-estate.

I'm sure you've been noticing how similar 2k/4k prices are, gamers prefer 2k as it's less taxing but for non gaming I have trouble seeing the difference.

Solution

otaku3230

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011

Is a Ultra-wides 34" monitor smaller VERTICALLY than a normal 34" monitor?

what r ur monitor sizes?

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Yes since screens are always diagonally measured, it'd be longer and less tall. There are also some 29" ultra-wides (non curved at that size) that are better on space but you're loosing some height for sure by going smaller and ultra wide. The curved 34" are impressive and immersive, I want one but require G-sync and a much lower cost.

I use a 24" G-sync monitor (AOC, it's amazing) for gaming, and watch movies on a 50" plasma tv. At work we have 32" or larger 4k screens in the conference rooms and my buddy has the 27" ACER IPS 2k G-sync which is also a great screen (but still a little pricey) and have done similar non-gaming stuff on all of them and it's not very different at all which is why I brought up ultra-wides to give you a different and new experience.

otaku3230

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011

so if you watch a 4k video on the 27" ACER IPS 2k and same video 50" plasma tv how much of a difference can you see if you are sitting 1-2 feets and another time as if watching it from a TV distance?

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
If you're talking youtube 4k than i'll say they look identical as youtube will still play the video at 4k quality no matter what your current resolution is.

Even on a 1080p monitor 4k youtube looks better than 2k/1080p not because of the native resolution of the computer but because the quality of the signal to the monitor is superior.

I know you're not asking anything gaming related but it does apply, I try to run as many games as possible on 4k DSR (when the performance allows) on my 1080p monitor because of the better signal. It looks a lot better when I am able to do it.