Mobo recognized SSD long enough to install but no longer is taking any feedback from hardware connected with sata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flare25x25

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015
This is my first computer build and everything was going fine until after I installed windows with a usb and I turned off my computer to go get drivers. After much attempted tinkering, I found that either my drives are locked or my mobo isn't accepting data from the connected hardware as the drives do not appear when I input commands in the cmd.exe but are locked at attempted windows boot up (note: I could be very wrong this is just my analysis) . Please help, I've looked all over the internet and can't find anything like my problem.

Hardware:
MOBO: MSI z97 Gaming 5
PROC: i7-4790k
SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm

Why are you in the command prompt? Can you access the bios? Does your boot drive show up in the bios? Try removing the CMOS battery from the motherboard for about five minutes, then reinstalling it and rebooting.

How exactly are you getting to a command prompt?

Flare25x25

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015
Yes I can access the BIOS. No my boot drive does not appear in the BIOS. I have already tried removing the CMOS battery. I am getting to a command prompt through the USB media creation tool. Basically the problem is windows locked my drive and is refusing any attempt I make to unlock it.

Windows cannot "lock" a drive. Access to the drive happens before windows ever even begins to load, in the pre-Windows environment during POST. If the drive isn't showing in the bios, there is a problem with the drive or the storage controllers on the motherboard. Windows has nothing to do with a drive being visible prior to the Windows environment and drivers being loaded. Even with NOTHING installed on the drive, it would be visible in the bios and available as a boot option, unless there was a problem.

I'd try a different SATA cable first, a different SATA header on the motherboard second, and follow that up with determining if the motherboard, PSU or the drive has a problem by trying the drive in another system. If the drive is recognized in any other computer, and you've exhausted all other options, then the motherboard likely has a faulty storage controller. Could be power related as well.

Windows cannot be at fault if the drive isn't present in the bios.

Flare25x25

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015
My BIOS boot priority says there is a hard drive connected but it doesn't give any further information. I have tried all that you said with the sata cables except trying the drive in another system since I do no have one available to me

Run Seatools for DOS to check the drive health.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

It might not be the worst idea to connect the drive to another system and backup any important information before going any further, so that in the even there IS a problem with the drive, you might be able to minimize the damage by recovering your files and folders to another drive.

If none of that works, I'd suggest trying to perform a clean install using the following method:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Status
Not open for further replies.