I want to change my graphics card and need suggestions. AMD to Geforce

So, my XFX HD 7870 2gb is dying. It was a good graphic card, runned the games very well. BUT, some games like Far Cry 4(low quality), Witcher 2(medium quality) and even Crysis 1(medium-low quality) couldnt run on ultra. Games from id tech like RAGE, Doom 3 and Quake 4 has a problem as well cause some compatibility issue give the game poor textures. My old Geforce 8400gs run these old id games very well.

http://i.imgur.com/SxSac.jpg

So, i want to change to Geforce, to replay some old id games and run recent games as well.

I need a card Geforce it's just a bit better than 7870 for the reason that I do not want to spend much money on a new card, but at the same time I do not want to get a quality exceeding wearing. Only a small upgrade.

Do you have any suggestions?
7 answers Last reply
More about change graphics card suggestions amd geforce
  1. Both the GTX 950 and 960 could be good options for you. Your budget should probably determine which is the better fit for you.
  2. may i know your budget and your resolution??

well i agree with Calculagator, i also recommend GTX 950 or GTX 960..

this is the effective memory clock from GTX 960: 7.0 Gbps (http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-960/specifications)

while the effective memory clock from HD 7870 is just 4.8 Gbps

so technically, GTX 960 will run faster than HD 7870..

however, if you want something cheaper, i recommend GTX 750ti (5.4 Gbps effective memory clock)

Regards..

you can see the review of GTX 960 here: www.thegamingpcguide.com/2015/09/gtx-960-sweet-spot-graphics-card-for.html
  3. alenalbert said:
    may i know your budget and your resolution??

well i agree with Calculagator, i also recommend GTX 950 or GTX 960..

this is the effective memory clock from GTX 960: 7.0 Gbps (http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-960/specifications)

while the effective memory clock from HD 7870 is just 4.8 Gbps

so technically, GTX 960 will run faster than HD 7870..

however, if you want something cheaper, i recommend GTX 750ti (5.4 Gbps effective memory clock)

Regards..

you can see the review of GTX 960 here: www.thegamingpcguide.com/2015/09/gtx-960-sweet-spot-graphics-card-for.html

AMD FX 6100
    Motherboard Gigabyte
    SSD Samsung 850EVO

What is a effective memory clock? I didnt know that.
  4. The 750ti is a lot weaker (30-40%) than your 7870
    The gtx 950 is around 10% weaker
    The gtx 960 is around 15% stronger.

So the 750ti & 950 would be downgrades.
  5. "What is a effective memory clock? I didnt know that. "

it's kinda hard for me to explain but i'd give it a try..

let's take HD 6670 as an example:

HD 6670 DDR3
    memory clock: 800 MHz
    effective memory clock: 1600 MHz

HD 6670 DDR5
    memory clock:1000 MHz
    effective memory clock: 4000 MHz

for DDR3 memory, the effective memory measured is twice

while for DDR5, the effective memory measured is four times of the "real" memory clock
  6. Thanks for all the answers! But i still have some questions:

madmatt30 said:
    The 750ti is a lot weaker (30-40%) than your 7870

I studied about graphics card and i have some questions. Is clock better than bits and ram? AMD looks like have a better RAM and bits, but i was discussing with a friend and he sayed to me that clock render textures in game better. Now i really dont know if i choose AMD or Nividia. Anyway i compared my dead 7870 to this GTX 960 and gtx is really better, not much but its better.

Now Im twisted between those two cards

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-280X-vs-GeForce-GTX-960 take a look at the test and tell me your toughs. ^^

"madmatt30" could you tell me how did you compare cards using percentage? its a site or something like that?
  7. legendarysnake said:
    Thanks for all the answers! But i still have some questions:

madmatt30 said:
    The 750ti is a lot weaker (30-40%) than your 7870

I studied about graphics card and i have some questions. Is clock better than bits and ram? AMD looks like have a better RAM and bits, but i was discussing with a friend and he sayed to me that clock render textures in game better. Now i really dont know if i choose AMD or Nividia. Anyway i compared my dead 7870 to this GTX 960 and gtx is really better, not much but its better.

Now Im twisted between those two cards

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-280X-vs-GeForce-GTX-960 take a look at the test and tell me your toughs. ^^

"madmatt30" could you tell me how did you compare cards using percentage? its a site or something like that?

the 280x is faster

Ask a new question

Read More

Games Graphics Cards Geforce Graphics