Replacement needed for 5 year old Radeon HD 5670 (suggestions)

MamasBoy

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015
I have a 5 year old Radeon HD 5670 that is starting to fail. The mini displayport no longer works so I am down to two monitors.

I went with a Radeon HD 5670 because I thought I would do some gaming and it was one of the better cards at the time. As it turned out I got busy and I used it only for running my business and never gamed on it so the card was a bit of overkill. The card is huge and runs hot (heating up my home office)

However, with eyefinity, I have become addicted to 3 monitors at a time and am really missing my 3rd monitor working.

I am a bit out of the loop on graphics cards, however,I imagine smaller cheaper graphic cards with close to the same performance are now available.

Here is what I am looking for as a replacement:

3 monitor capability (does not need to be Eyefinity)

3 DVI outputs (the mini DisplayPort was a pain because of the adapters needed to convert DVI to DisplayPort) Even three HDMI or 3 standard DisplayPorts would be workable.

Runs cooler and uses less power then the HD 5670

Plenty fast for everyday web work business and playing HD video. I won't be doing serious gaming.

Under $250

Can anyone point me to some options out there I should consider?

Thanks!

MamasBoy

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015
Robert, Great choices. What about the gtx 960 low power consumption and decent performance?

But the xfx r7 might be a better choice as my 5 year old card and be very light on the heat and power sucking.... If so, that would be the way to go. Moore's law says over five year a $90 video card should be just as good as my ~$400 5 year old card.

well moore's law is not golden in the price area, other wise the i7 2700K would be less than $300
If you do not need power just get the R7 250X or the R7 260X. the 960 is a good idea too, but it is not exactly cheap.

turbopixel

Reputable
May 18, 2015

TDP for HD 5670: 61W

TDP for R7 250X: 80 W
TDP for R7 260X: 115 W
TDP for GTX 950: 90 W
TDP for GTX 960: 120 W

TDP for GTX 750 Ti: 60 W (but up to 75 W for some overclocked versions like below link)

Cooler? I don't know how hot this get, but if your not gaming you want a cool card, then I can only recommend you the GTX 750 Ti. TDP is 60 W, so it is lower, like you wanted. :D No joke, but at least it is not higher, like the other recommendations. The one from Gigabyte needs a little more wattage, but should have enough connections for 3 monitors. Otherwise, I think you can also use the motherboard connections too (not sure here). Specifications for 750 Ti says 4 monitor support.

> http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750-ti/specifications
> http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn75toc2gi

Edit: Typo corrected.

Well cards like 750ti will be a good choice. Consume about the same as 5670 but performance wise it was about the fastest gpu during 5670 generation. There were several models from biard partner. So you can look for which model with your preference output.

With 900 series nvidia give display port a major priority due to surround gsync setup. Thus with 900 series they gave their card 3 display port output since gsync monitors only work with display port. The cheapest 900 series would be 950. But be reminded not all 900 will have 3 display port. Nvidia still give board partner freedom to support what kind of output they want to put on their card.

MamasBoy

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think I will go with the ASUS Radeon R7 260X R7260X-OC-2GD5 2GB - Great price ~$90 and has the ports i need without running new cables or getting different adapters. It probably is faster than my current ATI HD 5670 which has been plenty fast enough.