Horrible lag issue when playing games and listening to music/video at the same time (g-sync related).

grimsonfart

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
Hi!

I'm having this awful issue.. I'm currently on the latest build of Windows 10 (the same issue on previous version as well) and i can't play games and have ANY other type of media playing (even GIF) while doing it without causing absolutely ridiculous amount of lag in game (we are talking 2-3 fps). I found a solution, turning off G-sync... After i did a fresh install of Windows, it worked again for a few minutes and suddenly started lagging again.

My system; 5920k, 980Ti, MSI X99S Gaming 9, HyperX 16GB DDR4.

I have tried downgrading my GPU drivers, defaulting CPU back to stock clocks. Updating BIOS.

Sounds like a driver issue to me, whether it's sound or video related i don't know... Any help would be appreciated.

grimsonfart

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
thanks for the suggestions. Sadly, i have done everything and it still doesn't work. I used that utility to uninstall GPU drivers and reinstalled new ones, then removed and installed sound drivers from MSI's website. I swear it's a G-sync problem, i might be better off asking this on an NVIDIA forum. For now i will just play in borderless window (which works).

355.60 has worked for a number of members that other versions did not work for. You must run through the DDU process again before installing though. The DDU will automatically disable the automatic driver updating of windows so you don't need to worry about doing that afterwards.

Also, I can't count the number of times I've heard "I already did a clean install", just to find out later that what they actually did was a refresh, reset or repair, or reinstalled the same system image that was created when the upgrade was completed, which solves nothing. If you did not install to a bare drive or did not delete ALL existing partitions on the drive before installing, or if there is a windows.old folder on your C:\ drive, then it was not a clean install and should be done as described in the link above. It what you did DOES meet those criteria, then we're almost certainly dealing with a driver issue of some kind.

If you are using G-force experience, and none of the above works, try uninstalling or disabling the experience and then reinstall the drivers starting with the newest and going backwards to 355.60 until one of them resolves the issue, using the DDU between every driver change.

I'd also make absolutely certain that I've installed EVERY single relevant Windows 10 driver from the motherboard product page including sound drivers, chipset, inf, Intel management engine, USB filter drivers and any other listed drivers that are not listed under optional or utility. Even if you think all of those hardware components are working normally I would not rely on the Windows native drivers to have the best support and compatibility without installing the manufacturer specific versions.

grimsonfart

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
OK, so it seems it has been fixed. I used secure erase on my SSD, installed a newly downloaded ISO for Windows 10, then did the things you mentioned above (including installing every single driver i could find on the MSI website). Hopefully it doesn't come back, if it does, i'l be back. :)P).

Thanks and cheers!