Graphical issues on the desktop, primarily in the tool/menu bar but also presenting in the task bar and start menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian_8

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
Graphical issues on the desktop, primarily in the tool/menu bar but also presenting in the task bar and start menu.

Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6900
Video Drivers: Catalyst Control Center, up to date ( have also tried older drivers and beta drivers)

This problem presented suddenly several weeks ago in the middle of a gaming session (not after a reset or update)

I have checked for corrupted OS files, upgraded and downgraded the video drivers to several different versions, booted in safe mode, and changed the monitor refresh rate. Safe mode is the only time the issues go away completely. Full screen streaming video has zero graphical problems, but video games have a variety of issues (extensive flickering of polygons primarily). The glitch presents as smearing or stretching (along the horizontal axis) of text and graphics on the desktop. I have asked this question on numerous support forums and not gotten a fix that will work. This is driving me nuts since it's not bad enough to be unworkable but just bad enough to be HIGHly annoying for any kind of normal work.

imgur link of an example of the glitch: http://i.imgur.com/T2dxY2O.jpg

Solution
Yeah, safe mode is only for the REMOVAL. Installation needs to be done in the regular desktop environment. Glad you didn't get held up too long on that. Let me know how it goes after the install. Be sure to also go to your motherboard product page after you complete the clean install, and download/install ALL the listed Windows 10 drivers for your motherboard model, and then do another removal of the GPU card drivers using the DDU (Even though it's a clean OS installation, Windows installs whichever version of Catalyst it feels is best, which usually ISN'T.) and then install the latest catalyst drivers from the AMD website. So, Clean install OS, install all motherboard drivers as outlined by your motherboard manufacturer, then clean...
IF the issues are not present in safe mode, then it is a driver issue, period.

Although you've changed driver versions, if you have not used the Display driver uninstaller to remove hidden files and registry entries, it's unlikely to be successful. Try this and let me know if it works for you. This resolves the issue for about half the users with similar problems.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

Just being "up to date" is not sufficient. Between driver installations there are registry settings and bits of older driver versions that do not get removed and must be in order to resolve the conflicts causing issues with your drivers.

If that fails to solve the problem, you may need to start fresh with a "clean" install, as follows:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2784691/ditch-problematic-win10-upgrade-replace-clean-install.html

Christian_8

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
Thanks for the reply! I followed the instructions in the link you posted, but when trying to install the new driver (in safe mode after running DDU), I got the error message "Failed to load dection drivers". I then followed the instructions found in another one of your posts which failed to solve the problem.

I am trying to install the AMD catalyst 15.7.1 drivers for windows 10 64 bit (should have mentioned in my original post, I am running 64 bit windows).

-edit- just wouldn't work in safe mode. Succesfully performed clean install of drivers, didn't fix the problem. Proceeding with clean OS re-install, will report back when finished.

Yeah, safe mode is only for the REMOVAL. Installation needs to be done in the regular desktop environment. Glad you didn't get held up too long on that. Let me know how it goes after the install. Be sure to also go to your motherboard product page after you complete the clean install, and download/install ALL the listed Windows 10 drivers for your motherboard model, and then do another removal of the GPU card drivers using the DDU (Even though it's a clean OS installation, Windows installs whichever version of Catalyst it feels is best, which usually ISN'T.) and then install the latest catalyst drivers from the AMD website. So, Clean install OS, install all motherboard drivers as outlined by your motherboard manufacturer, then clean install the GPU drivers.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.