Windows 10 changing Power settings behind my back

Vinnybey

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
I've seen other power setting or display switching off threads, and threads with similar issues relating to windows 7, the former was often solved by unplugging joysticks or uninstalling peripheral drivers, or was caused due to an upgrade from win7 to win10. My install was fresh on a blank SSD, never before used.

My issue is different, my display turns off fine when I set 'turn off display' to 2 minutes, and leave it 2 minutes, it works, and I just restarted the computer and checked if it had saved, and yes, it was still sitting at 2 minutes, now 20 minutes later, I check it again and once again the power setting has changed to 'Turn off Display: NEVER'. It's been a recurring problem for a few weeks now.

I've tried altering the setting in the basic interface settings>system>power & sleep, and in additonal power settings which brings you to control panel> hardware and sound> power options where I've altered the 'balanced' and 'power saver' power plans to switch off my monitor after 2 minutes, nothing works, it always changes my plan to 'Turn off monitor: NEVER' and I've no idea how or why, or if anyone else is having this specific problem, I haven't been able to find a thread out there with this exact same issue. Although it's difficult to pin it down in a search string when there are other more 'popular' power setting/display switching off issues. Hope someone can help, or at least let me know I'm not alone with this bug.

Reactions: mckenziepiping

Vinnybey

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
Solved, after much head scratching, I tried a search string with this issue involving the words "Bit Defender" and I grasped the correct straw, turns out letting it be in auto pilot and letting it sit in gaming mode will adjust your power settings, set it to standard profile and disable auto pilot so it can't enable gaming mode, as described in the first 2 posts here - http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=55351

I only switched to BD when I installed windows 10, was one of the few compatible Anti-Virus'. Hope this helps someone else out there :D

Reactions: mckenziepiping

AloE

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017
re: "Hope this helps someone else out there :D"

yes, helped me :) this has been driving me nuts since a whole bunch of custom programs go nuts when one of my monitors shuts off...sure enough Bitdefender was in game mode...had the same search problem as you but thankfully came across your post since I added 'never' as a search term (since in my case I actually want the screens to never turn off). Thanks for taking the time to share the solution!

bovcan

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
ajej.driving me crazy too. Everytime display went off after 2 or 5min even if i set it to Never.
Cant believe it this is still the issue with BD 2017.

thanks

Trudes44

Prominent
May 16, 2017

Hi all, I was reading this as I'm having the exact same problem BUT without Bitdefender. I don't think it's a Bitdefender problem as it keeps doing it no matter what. It seems to be a Windows power management problem all over. I had to untick both my mouse and Realek drivers to stop them controlling my power and going into a sleep mode through device manager. If anyone figures this issue out I think many people will be very grateful.

theTexasWolf

Prominent
May 16, 2017
I'm in the same boat Toshiba laptop/tablet touchscreen combo, no bitdefender, just removed McAfee and added Kaspersky. No change. Need help!

Sereno011

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I had the same problem. Recently upgraded to Ryzen system for which AMD has it's own power plan and it kept changing itself to High Performance. Apparently the latest Avast has a Game Mode option now as well which is on by default. But there is a setting to stop the power plan switching. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Larry_3

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

I didn't want to respond to OP since it's years old (like everything else on this site), but I'm having the same problem. I went into Bitdefender and found this, and saw there were options under "configure".. one of them is a checkbox for "Adjust power plan settings for games". I tried unchecking the box, saving then exiting, but when I go back the box is checked again. Then I tried using "Work" profile", but it keeps reverting to "Games". What a mess. I'm going back to Avast.

mckenziepiping

Distinguished
May 25, 2013
Still happening in 2020. Nothing to do with BitDefender. I have never installed that. Yesterday I went through my power plan advanced settings and made sure that both "balanced" and "performance" plans have the same settings, so that it wouldn't matter whether Windows switches between them. Today I found my laptop with the lid closed, display on, overheating... checked the settings again and saw that they had all been randomly changed somehow. Any solution for this?

TRENDING THREADS