PC force reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashkayuk

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
My PC sometimes restarts when I am playing game. This occurrence is sporadic and is spread between long periods of time.
Once it starts to happen, every time I try to play a game after the restart it reboots almost instantly & then reboots before anything else would show up on the screen or just switch off when I press the power button.
After I leave the PC & unplug everything it works again until the next time after I played a few games.
Almost all of the time it would reboot the PC but rarely it would crashed to desktop.
Other times Geforce experience has stopped working and would crash.
Once when my pc force restarted the screen showed a few vertical red, white and blue pixelated lines across the screen.
The most recent problems was when I was not playing any games at all and the pc just shutdown.
To try and resolve my problem I have swapped my RAM with new RAM.
Removed one of the monitors, changed the graphics card checked to see if my motherbored bios was up to date.
When trying all of the above my PC still force reboots when playing games at times.
I have also used my onboard video card for a day and no force reboot has occurred. But this was for one day and I have gone for a day with my GTX 980 or asus 560ti without having a my pc rebooted when playing games.
Any information would be appreciated.

Motherboard Manufacturer: Gigabyte
Motherboard Model : G1.Sniper M3
Graphics Card Model : EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked
Number of Graphics Card : 1
CPU : Intel i7 3770k 3.50Ghz
Memory Manufacturer : G.Skill
Memory Model : DDR3 4GB PC1600 CL9
Number of Memory Modules : 4x4GB
Power Supply : Corsair AX860
Operating System : Windows 10, Windows 8.1
Monitor: Dell U2913WM & LG FLATRON W2246S
Other Peripherals : Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire ,Razer Deathadder 3.5G

EDIT: I may have clicked accidentally on my mobile. its extremely difficult to navigate using a mobile.

Solution
If it's happening on more than one OS, and a clean driver installation doesn't help, then there is definitely a problem with the power supply, motherboard or graphics card.

Make sure all fans are operating normally, if there are any power strips being used, eliminate them. Check your PSU voltages in the bios or using HWinfo (Run "sensors only". Do not use HWmonitor or open hardware monitor)

If you have another GPU card or can borrow one, that might be a good way to eliminate or convict the GPU card.

ashkayuk

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
I have tried that before. Right now I'm on my mobile because it now happens when I boot to the desk within a few minutes. I tried windows 7, 8.1 and 10.
I'm thinking it's my motherboard or psu.

If it's happening on more than one OS, and a clean driver installation doesn't help, then there is definitely a problem with the power supply, motherboard or graphics card.

Make sure all fans are operating normally, if there are any power strips being used, eliminate them. Check your PSU voltages in the bios or using HWinfo (Run "sensors only". Do not use HWmonitor or open hardware monitor)

If you have another GPU card or can borrow one, that might be a good way to eliminate or convict the GPU card.

Solution

ashkayuk

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

I have tried another GPU with no luck. Also removed all but the PC and monitor cables. The temp seem to be fine, the only thing I'm not sure how to check is the PSU, I have a log for HW, If you can look at it I would be very grateful.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qgvv5reuo7e4jh/log.CSV?dl=0

I can't make any sense of the comma separated values log you created, as it doesn't list individual sensors by name. Try this, both at idle and under a gaming load, and post screenshots here. Instructions for both are below.

*How to post images in Tom's hardware forums

Run HWinfo and look at system voltages and other sensor readings.

Monitoring temperatures, core speeds, voltages, clock ratios and other reported sensor data can often help to pick out an issue right off the bat. HWinfo is a good way to get that data and in my experience tends to be more accurate than some of the other utilities available. CPU-Z, GPU-Z and Core Temp all have their uses but HWinfo tends to have it all laid out in a more convenient fashion so you can usually see what one sensor is reporting while looking at another instead of having to flip through various tabs that have specific groupings.

After installation, run the utility and when asked, choose "sensors only". The other window options have some use but in most cases everything you need will be located in the sensors window. If you're taking screenshots to post for troubleshooting, it will most likely require taking three screenshots and scrolling down the sensors window between screenshots in order to capture them all.

*Download HWinfo

ashkayuk

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
I was unable to start my pc and started to take it part and found one of the PSU modular cables, PCIe Pig Tail pins was melted.
This would explain why the pc was fine when using the motherboard graphics.
This was the cable http://www.corsair.com/en/type-3-sleeved-black-pci-e-pig-tail-cable
So far it has not shutdown after replaced it with 2 PCI-e cables like this, each requiring its own 8 pin PSU input.
http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/type-3-sleeved-black-pci-e-cable

But what I don't understand is why the PCIe Pig Tail melted when using with the gtx 980 was there too much power for it to handle, was this an error on my part?
all it says on the GeForce site is it needs 2x 6-pins and the PCIe Pig Tail had that.

It could be a lot of things. Namely, I don't trust ANY of the Corsair power supplies regardless of whether or not it's one of their higher quality models. But that's neither here nor there as regards the cabling as Corsair units are known for higher than average failure rates, not for burning up, catching fire or melting cables. My suspicion would be that the cable was faulty, off the top of my head. There could certainly be a problem with the GPU card or motherboard that has caused it to directly short and draw too much power though.

That older AX unit may not have had sufficient internal protections, which is why the cabling got as far as it did, or it could have just been a fluke. I'd seriously consider something like the EVGA G2 750w unit made by Super Flower if you encounter any further issues. I'd keep a close eye on it for at least a while. Visually inspect the motherboard and look for signs of burn marks, leaking or bulging capacitors or other visual damage. Check the PCIe slot and make sure there is no debris or foreign objects, however small, in the slot at all that could short two circuits together and check the "gold teeth" on the GPU card to see that there is no damage to any of them as well as the back of the GPU card in a visual manner as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.