A good way to advertise as a freelancing computer repairs guy?

DragonLS

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
So I found a new path that has opened up to me after fixing up a couple of computers my neighbors had issues with, and by fixing up, I mean tuning it (Deleting bloatware, checking their hardware for abnormalities, etc.), and it made me realize something... I could make a freelance business out of this.

But here's the problem... I'm mostly unfamiliar with advertising laws Georgia has. My initial idea was to print out fliers advertising my services (Basically $50 to look at someone's computer, plus $10 for each additional service, being tune ups, data backup/recovery, etc.) and stick them at neighbor's doors, or public grocery store lots on people's cars, all that good stuff.

Would it be illegal to do this? I'm rather cautious when it comes to doing this and that, since I'd rather not have the law knocking on my door due to a careless mistake I didn't know about. I'm hoping to get some input on the pros here. I can build a computer from scratch with no problem, and I can diagnose computer issues without a problem either, so I have no doubts in my abilities. I just have doubts on how to effectively advertise as a freelancer.

Solution
Dragon,

Your work is probably only part-time and I expect that if you pay the State and Federal taxes (if any) on the income then Georgia and Uncle Sam will be happy. Hopefully your expenses are small enough to ignore and you can opt to just claim what you receive as "other income".

Two things you can do:

1) Prepare a forecasted tax return based on your last filings. Only this time add in the "business" income. Go low, expected, and high. See what the rules and calculations actually say when the numbers are crunched. Other/additional filing requirements and forms may be triggered.

2) Then, per the other posters, make sure that that all is okay by visiting local State and Federal tax offices. Most of those people will be...

vesp3r

Distinguished
If you want it to be completely legal then you will have to register as a company and pay taxes as one.
Not sure how it is where you are but at my country mostly nobody cares about it being legal. If you look around you will find 1 computer tech freelancer in every neighborhood thats not licensed and atleast as much repair shops that are licensed. I myself check out some computers from time to time as a side job w/o license for it. Ofc I dont advertise myself and fix ~2-3 computers/month

DragonLS

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Registering myself as a business would probably be overdoing it. I'm not sure a college student like me could even afford doing that, especially taxes, I have enough to worry about as it is.

I can't see how just a single freelancer, with doing computer repairs of all things, would even qualify as a business to begin with? But I guess it's different in all countries. I'd still like an answer to this with someone whom is experienced with this, however.

Ralston18

Titan
Dragon,

Your work is probably only part-time and I expect that if you pay the State and Federal taxes (if any) on the income then Georgia and Uncle Sam will be happy. Hopefully your expenses are small enough to ignore and you can opt to just claim what you receive as "other income".

Two things you can do:

1) Prepare a forecasted tax return based on your last filings. Only this time add in the "business" income. Go low, expected, and high. See what the rules and calculations actually say when the numbers are crunched. Other/additional filing requirements and forms may be triggered.

2) Then, per the other posters, make sure that that all is okay by visiting local State and Federal tax offices. Most of those people will be more than willing to help you. Some areas have free business consulting resources available - find those resources.

Lots of websites on line regarding taxes (E.g. Georgia Tax Center).

https://gtc.dor.ga.gov/_

That said, I have some firm feelings about advertising. Most people overestimate what advertising can do. I would not pay anyone to make up and print flyers. Find an artistic friend that can help you design a simple one-page flyer - maybe with telephone "tear-off's at the bottom. Make just a dozen or so copies for strategic postings.

Keyword simple: easy to read at a glance, get the message, and tell the reader what to do next. Call xxx.xx.xxxx No "geeky" fantasy creatures, crazy fonts, colors, and so forth. A logo would be nice but pre-mature and likely to cause someone to claim it as infringement.

Distribute flyer per local laws. Many stores will permit such postings on a dedicated bulletin board. Does your college allow doing so in campus buildings?

Door to door distribution/solicitation is frowned upon in many areas. Also time-consuming and risky. Might be more effective if you can get into office buildings and industrial parks. I have recently been in a couple of small business when people such as yourself have brought in "PC repair" business flyers. Saw mixed receptions... Individuals and other small businesses are probably your best opportunities.

Posting on cars usually results in lots of "litter". Probably a visit to the local City Hall will provide an answer with respect to local ordnances. Businesses should stay within the laws even though a lot of them do not... Stay legal.

Focus on addressing what you can do. Keep posted pricings to a minimum. Double-edged sword. Too high (relative) could discourage potential customers. Too low and people will try to hold you that price no matter the seriousness and complexity of actual problem you find. And, worst case, it could be construed as a contract.

Word of mouth is okay but slow. Generally works best with friends and family (who often then expect discounts for "helping out" your business).

The balance for you is to provide the services you are best able to do and not get overwhelmed with work or constantly dealing with really messy problems - sometimes customer self-inflicted.

The really good thing about your situation is that a college area often has lots of free and available resources to help. A bit of footwork and some research, a very necessary job skill these days, will provide direct answers fitted to your area and environment.

Lots of people think about going into business for themselves. You are not the first. However, if you take the time to ask questions up front and seek further answers (as you have started doing via this forum) then you will be among the very few who get started off with a better chance of success.

(Now I must say: I am not a lawyer, accountant, etc. Nothing herein is to taken or construed as legal or financial advice. Just helpful suggestions for which you are responsible for addressing further on as you deem appropriate.....)

Solution