limited connection tried EVERYTHING

Joziclopez

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
my computer keeps going limited connection at least 10 times every single day. when i say i tried everything i mean everything from basic command control commands to changing ISP providers changing modems changing routers changing wireless adapter cards doing some custom settings on wireless options on my modems website. idk what else to do

Ralston18

Titan
Joz,

1) Have you called your ISP(s)? What did they say? Have you tried cable swapping with known good cables? What about checking any ethernet wall ports, patch panels, all related cables etc. for loose connections. Inside and outside.

2) What modem and/or router are you using?

3) How many wireless and wired devices are on your network?

4) Are you using the wireless security functions? Can you see all of your network devices and only your network devices on the network?

5) Any sense of how many other wireless networks are in your area?

6) Is limited connection occuring randomly or with perhaps some pattern? Just during "day" or including night (i.e., 24 x 7).

Try to avoid changing things and see if you can start a methodical approach focusing on one possibility at a time.

Overall look for overuse or interference. Check the modem/router logs.

Joziclopez

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015

Joziclopez

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
Yes i called isp they said the router was bad so i got a stronger one that fixed it for about a week now it's happening again. It happens at all times of the day. My lap top is the only one with the problem there's 5 wireless devices. It works on ethernet

Ralston18

Titan
Since you have changed laptop adapters that seems to narrow things down to a laptop problem per se.

Here is my logic:

The original router was bad/weak - newer router okay for the week but the laptop problem has gotten worse and cannot receive from the new router.

Moving the laptop closer to the router may reduce the number of limited connections but only for a bit longer if I am correct. Unless the failure has even gone beyond that point.

Intermittent problem just getting worse....

I would do one more configuration check on the laptop to ensure it is correctly set up for the new router. Set the speed and duplex settings directly without auto-negotiate for example.

Failing that it is probably time to have someone to do diagnostics on the laptop.