Car audio at home

kaushik06

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Hi i want to connect my car audio system at home .my car system is sony cdx-gt280 and 600 watts sony spekars and i have 12v 5amps powe supply .i connected my system with this power supply but sound quality is very bad so much noise and bass is very bad .what should i do for better quality.please reply soon.

kaushik06

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010

Ok couple of things. 600w at 12v is 50A so to be safe your going to need a 60A plus 12v supply, your car has a battery capable of delivering hundreds of amps for a fraction of a second if required.

Also everyone thinks car batteries are 12v but that is there flat value. When your alternator is running the supply will be around 15v and a healthy 12v battery on its own should be close to 14v.

You may be better off setting up a car battery and fast charger than trying to use a pc PSU.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I think he doesn't have a 600w amplifier, he said 600w sony speakers, a lot of times speakers are sold with their peak wattage they can handle advertised, based on how he worded it I bet thats what he has (especially if its something like a pair of 6x9's). However if he says he does have a 600w amp in addition I agree, a computer PSU won't do the job either.