Asus laptop not working after Windows 10 installation

machelper

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
Asus laptop Model UP 80V - installed windows 10, no problem. Next time I turned it on it came up with a blue windows graphic then moved to a blank page with a moving rotating circle. Now after several reboots all I get after the windows graphic is a blank screen, no arrows, cursor, anything. Tried rebooting numerous times, hard reset removing battery and holding down the on key for 20 seconds. Something appears to be running because I can hear the fan. The power button has a steady light, and the hard drive light flasher pretty regularly. I can't do anything. Any other ideas?

How long have you waited once it's stopped at the black screen? A lot of users are reporting that after between 20 minutes to two hours (Yeah, I know, WTF right?) of sitting on the black screen, the system managed to work through whatever driver issue was happening and booted normally thereafter. In some cases they've had to do a clean install of the GPU card or graphics adapter drivers as well, once the could get into windows, as the same thing happened on the next boot. And for others, once the initial boot was successful, they had no more problems.

If you can get into safe mode by beginning to press F8 or Shift+F8 immediately and continuously as soon as you press power on, until you see the advanced boot menu options appear, you can go into safe mode, do a clean graphics driver installation, reboot, and probably be fine after that. Here's what you want to do if you can get into safe mode in order to do so.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

You might also want to start out by removing the motherboard CMOS battery for about five minutes with the power to the unit disconnected, then put it back and restart in order to reset the EFI hardware tables. In some cases, this has entirely solved the issue without doing anything else.