Canonscan Lide110 with Windows 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randell63

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
I have two Canon flatbed scanners on two desktop PCs which worked fine with Windows 7.
Since I now have Windows 10 on both my PCs. I cannot get either this scanner (Lide110) or my other Canon Lide220 working. Same problem occurs on each scanner and on each PC.
After one Preview scan, scanner sometimes makes a full sweep, sometimes not quite all the way. It it manages one full sweep, preview gives result then I try pressing Scan and it either locks 30% of the way in and just hangs, or says its warming up and does nothing.
Eventually (3mins later) I get pop-up saying USB cable disconnected Scanner has lost connection etc. Have to either reboot PC, remove/disable scanner in Device Mgr. to restart.

Canon help/support are absolutely useless, guy told me to change USB cable (tried 3 cables)
Uninstall/reinstall software (lost count of how many times I've done this) and plug USB into another port also tried several ports. Then Canon tell me the scanner is faulty and to get it repaired. Strange since the problem occurs on both scanners and Lide220 is new.

Anyone out there any idea how to work around this?
I've seen on some forums a suggestion to run Scanner as if using Win7 (Compatibility mode)
but these referred to another Canon scanner model, then involved using older Canon Scangear software (Windows7), which I've tried, but also needed some additional lines of script added to the environment variables area, which I have no idea how to do or what to add even if I find the correct place to add the lines.

Solution
Just being going through this problem today and have found a workaround.

The bad news is that Canon are not supporting windows 10:
http://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/scanners/lide_series/canoscan_lide_100.aspx?type=drivers&language=EN&os=WINDOWS%2010%20%2864-bit%29

The good news is there's a way around this.

Go to your Control Panel.
under 'Hardware and Sound' go to 'View devices and Printers'
Assuming you see your scanner in Devices , Right click and create a shortcut.
It will tell you that it can only create a shortcut on your desktop. Agree.
Once you use this, it will give you a stripped back feature list that can be used to scan. Not ideal, but it does work.

Randell63

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
Thanks for the advice, yep 17.0.4 thats the new driver I have installed several times, got this Driver from Canon USA and again from Canon Asia just in case of differences.
I think the driver is the problem but Canon have not got it quite right yet.
There is a conflict somewhere which I have not been able to sort out. Several people out there are having similar problems with Epson/HP and Canon scanners, the forums are awash with similar complaints and mostly directed at Microsoft.

Randell63

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
Hi Darkbreeze,
My wife's PC is an upgrade to Win10 from Win7, my PC is a brand new Chillblast which came with Win10 preinstalled, neither of them will operate either of our scanners properly, Canon Lide110 and/or Canon Lide220.
Strangly when I updated my old Win7 PC to Win10, I had a Canon 4400F linked to it using the the Canoscan toolbox
this worked fine on Windows 10, even though Canon say on their website, the Canonscan toolbox is not supported under Windows10.
Sadly this PC burned out the PSU and damaged the motherboard a few weeks ago. Hence I am trying to sort out scanners, perhaps I had overclocked it a little. It was getting on a bit.
Anyway I'm going to try both scanners using my 4yr old MacBook Pro and see if Apple software can run them, just to prove there is nothing wrong with them and this is a software issue.
Something which neither Canon or Microsoft will agree is the problem.

Oh, I'm quite sure it's a software issue. The problem is we just don't know what is causing the issue. I'd probably unplug the units, uninstall any installed driver or support software (Meaning ANYTHING that was installed for the units), remove any references to the units in device manager or devices and printers, then reboot and plug the devices back in to see if perhaps windows automatically installs the devices and see if they will work without installing any further software.

Randell63

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
Thanks for the patience Darkbreeze, okay I'll try that. Any idea how I remove any references to Canon scanners in the registry.
I think Windows retains some info in the registry no matter what I remove. Just for the record, I tried both scanners from my macbook and both scan fine and keep scanning time after time after time. I used Apple's own scan software.
Just proves the point there is nothing wrong with either scanner. Thanks for all the help
Rgds

I wouldn't bother messing with the registry unless you know the relevant entries and dependencies. It's easy to throw things out of whack by deleting the wrong string.

These are USB scanners yes? Have you tried other USB devices on the same USB ports to verify the ports are working correctly?

Randell63

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
Yes that was my first test, tried in three different USB ports, used two different cables.
Both scanners working no problem using my Apply Macbook pro, installed with the latest software. Works straight away and scans over and over again. No issue at all.
When I have time going to remove all the Canon software and start from scratch.
I updated Java on my Desktop this morning and tried scanning and was able to scan 4times with no problem, fell over on the 5th attempt
Progress eh?

No, what I meant was have you connected other usb devices to the usb ports to see if they are working, rather than connecting the scanner to other usb ports. It could be a USB driver issue is what I'm thinking, rather than an issue of the drivers for the scanner itself.

Also, I'd go check the product page for your prebuilt system or motherboard model number and see if there is a newer bios version than that which is currently installed on your machine. I'd also locate any listed windows 10 drivers for your motherboard model on it's product page and install them all, even if you don't think you need to. Chipset, storage controllers and USB filter drivers would be the biggest priority but they could all affect USB function and other hardware.

Randell63

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
Thanks Darkbreeze,
I spent this morning checking the MBrd software, the makers Chillblast installed an Asus H81M-C MB and checked the Asus site and the Bios and Chips are all right up to date. Switched around the USB outlets - no change.
The only small thing thats "seems" to have a small improvement, I installed Java and since then the scanner will make more passes before stalling. Unsure why, but this only worked on my PC not my wifes which is only a few months older than mine and also a Chillblast Desktop.
I used to run Windows 7 on my old rig a Mesh desktop with Asus mbrd. I had then a Canon 4400F scanner using canonscan toolbox, it worked fine with never any problems.
When I upgraded to Windows 10 at the recent release date, this 4400F scanner was connected and on, after update to Win10
that scanner worked fine using canonscan toolbox. Which according to Windows helpdesk is not supported under Win10
My Mesh PC burned out hence recent purchase and move to this one. I then tried to switch the 4400F to my wifes PC after update to Win10 but it would not work at all. The rest is history.... but thanks for all your ideas really are appreciated.

Randell63

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
Thanks Darkbreeze, you gave me some useful suggestions and things I hadn't tried ultimately we are at the mercy of the Windows 10 developers. They will sneak out a fix in one of the updates and all scanners will magically work again.

Yes, that's probably true. I'd definitely double check the Canon website for future firmware and driver updates as well. It's probably a good idea to frequent the Canon forums as you're a lot more likely to encounter other members who have encountered the same issue and possibly resolved it.

Paschal_1

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
Just being going through this problem today and have found a workaround.

The bad news is that Canon are not supporting windows 10:
http://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/scanners/lide_series/canoscan_lide_100.aspx?type=drivers&language=EN&os=WINDOWS%2010%20%2864-bit%29

The good news is there's a way around this.

Go to your Control Panel.
under 'Hardware and Sound' go to 'View devices and Printers'
Assuming you see your scanner in Devices , Right click and create a shortcut.
It will tell you that it can only create a shortcut on your desktop. Agree.
Once you use this, it will give you a stripped back feature list that can be used to scan. Not ideal, but it does work.

Solution

Sinisa_2

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016

maybe, just maybe....i think it must be run as administrator, many things must work like this on Win10

Crystalcool

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016

Thanks a million, Paschal_1l!! Your shortcut trick worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.