VOIP Troubleshooting Interview Questions

Dmitriy Potemkin

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Hi there,

I'm going to be taking a technical interview with Interactive Intelligence in a week. In my last interview with them, they said this one would be focused on troubleshooting and general networking and technical knowledge. The position is Support Engineer, which they helpfully described as customer-facing tier-2 and tier-3 support. What kind of questions should I expect, given that this is a company with a focus on VOIP and communications in general? This is a high-level view of the company, true, but just based on that can anyone give an educated guess as to what to expect. Focus should be on general troubleshooting rather than specific technologies.

I am a Senior in an IT Bachelor's program, so I know a little (just a little) about all categories of IT, but should I focus on VOIP or networking in general. OSI, TCP/IP, subnetting, VLAN, and other buzzwords and ideas like that? No Cisco, no specific software will be focused on.

Thank you!

Solution
Like noriel said, read up on VOIP, look into best practices, learn some terminology like pbx, and learn how it works. Quite a few people get PBX wrong and don't know how to configure their firewalls to work with it.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Like noriel said, read up on VOIP, look into best practices, learn some terminology like pbx, and learn how it works. Quite a few people get PBX wrong and don't know how to configure their firewalls to work with it.

Solution