How can i do a clean install of my upgraded windows 10 os on a new cpu and mobo ?

claytonman

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
SO i want to upgrade my AMD CPU and ASUS mobo to a i5 4690k and z97 mobo, but i have upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 via the free upgrade for windows 7 and 8 users

The problem is the fact that i do not have the windows 7 disk and from what i have read i will need it to then install windows 10 for my new hardware, is there a way around this that someone could please explain ?

Also i bought my computer used so it may be a cracked copy that was installed, not sure if this will make a difference

Thanks in advance
Kind regards
Stephen

claytonman

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015

claytonman

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
Thanks for all the help... so i now have a product ID and a CD key but it says registered owner Microsoft, is that OK ?

Also what should i do with the product ID and CD key would you say ?

Sorry if these questions seem really silly and noobish but i suspect it will help inexperienced people out like me who are not that good at searching for how to do's on the web.

Thanks again.

claytonman

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015

If your machine came pre-installed with Windows 7, you can use MagicJellyBean to grab its serial code, then download Windows 7 ISO from this website:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Then burn the ISO to a DVD or create a bootable USB flash drive using Rufus.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Boot to BIOS and boot from the USB drive or DVD to install Windows 7. If you install the new motherboard and install Windows 7, but cannot activate it, then the Windows 7 license is an OEM version and cannot be transferred to the new motherboard. The same holds true if upgrading an OEM Windows 7 license to Windows 10. An OEM license is tied to the original motherboard. And with Windows pre-installed into a store-bought machine, such as an Acer, HP, Cyberpower, or Dell, and the PC was purchased as a used machine, there's a 99% chance it's an OEM license. In that case, you need to purchase Windows 10.

claytonman

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015

claytonman

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
I ran that magic jelly bean software and it says installed from full package product media along with a CD key and product ID, but i am not sure if this is the same as a serial code. According to the seller i bought it from used it was put on for him by a friend so it is likely his friends or a cracked OS, not sure if there is a limit to how many computers can use the windows 7 pro or windows 10 pro though.

I don't think i will be able to go back to windows 7 since i did a system restart so i will be looking to make a windows 10 pro usb flash drive if possible, i already downloaded some software by Microsoft that enabled me to download a windows 10 ISO i believe, and i have a 8gb flash drive coming tomorrow.

Are you able to change ISO's with rufus to bootable drives ?

You can use Rufus to transfer the .ISO file to the USB stick and make it bootable. But even if you did get the Windows 10 serial key, it's very unlikely that you will be able to activate it on a new motherboard because Windows 7 was an OEM license. If Windows 7 was indeed a cracked version, then you will definitely not be able to activate Windows 10. Besides, you should not be using cracked or pirated Windows software and we cannot assist with illegal copies.